FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By f1appyb1rd
Picked up a Miranda from a Home Depot for $25 back in October 2019. The pot contained two plants so I separated them into individual pots containing a mixture of lfsm and orchid bark (originally bought potted in straight peat moss). These two plants have been growing in the corner of my grow closet under an LED spotlight and in about 80% RH and 75-80 degree F temperatures.

N. Miranda when first purchased on October 30, 2019.

Since separating them, the two plants began to produce growth at nodes beneath where the main vines were cut, as well as several basal offshoots.

ImageNovember 2019
ImageDecember 2019

ImageJanuary 2020

The two plants finally started putting out pitchers in February from the basal offshoots and from the large leaves growing out of the main vines. The first large pitcher on one plant has just finished opening and coloring up, although its peristome did not fully form on one side. The other pitcher that just opened on that plant looks normal, though.

Although this cultivar is common, it still looks very interesting and exotic to me. Kinda neat how the striped peristome turns completely red after opening. It also grows like crazy. Also very interested in the history behind this cultivar because the only information I can find about it is that it originated from Deroose Nursery, is a sterile male clone, and its suspected parentage is N. (northiana x maxima) x maxima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By camsdad66
Great score! Very lucky to find such a beautiful plant at Home Depot for $25! Looks like it's making a strong comeback! It is an almost bulletproof Nepenthes, very easy to grow, and yet, a big gorgeous plant. Also very easy to propagate from cuttings, I've gotten plenty of them to root in water.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Dang! I need to shop at your Home Depot. Mine rarely has any carnivorous plants, and the couple Neps they get are always Ventricosa. Lowes only gets Ventricosa too, but they get a dozen at least.
Great score.
By f1appyb1rd
ChefDean wrote:Dang! I need to shop at your Home Depot. Mine rarely has any carnivorous plants, and the couple Neps they get are always Ventricosa. Lowes only gets Ventricosa too, but they get a dozen at least.
Great score.
I only saw them for sale at one particular Home Depot on that one particular day. I’ll say that I got lucky because I have not been able to find anymore since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!