FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
I found these hydroponics pots and I'm 95% sure they're going to be perfect! I hope so because I bought 100 of them...I'm a sucker for good value :oops:. I figure that's about a lifetime supply if they work out. They're a little bit bigger than I would've preferred, but that was the smallest I could find to give me enough depth for large VFTs. They're approximately 5" x 5" x 7" and have a 1 quart capacity. Also nice that they're white so I can use them indoors or outdoors (not sure how they'll hold up to UV, though).

I'm excited to finally be able to have all my plants in identical square pots. They'll save so much space and be so much easier to water. Now I just need to find some flood tables they nicely fit into.

IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG (207.97 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG (233.66 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
By Matt
Those look like they'll be ideal size for growing large flytraps! Only concern is with all of the holes, a peat-based mix will slowly erode out of the pots. But if you use long fiber sphagnum, or just line the pot with something, it shouldn't be an issue at all!
By xr280xr
Hmm, good point. I'm planning on using LFS right now, so I think the holes will be beneficial. Seems like a piece of packaging tape covering the side holes (on the interior) would do the trick otherwise. I think if it was a peat mix with perlite, some of the finer peat would sluice through the sides, but the perlite would probably block up the holes pretty well. More might wash out all the bottom holes if top watering, but I'd expect that to be less of an issue when tray watering, wouldn't you?
By nimbulan
For those asking about these pots, I use a ton of them myself and know many others who do. They're manufactured by Hydrofarm under the brand Active Aqua. They come in sizes from 5" up to 12" in both black and white. The 5" size is very handy for a lot of CPs and will fit 8 to a 1020 tray. You can buy them at many hydroponics stores or from Amazon (full cases, if you need a lot of them.) They're a bit spendy, but very sturdy and look pretty decent.
By Fishkeeper
I have this exact brand of pot. They feel very sturdy, and are nice and tall. I grow my Nepenthes in them. Also a pepper plant, which I've put right against the window. I like that they don't heat up in the sun, since they're white, and I'm sure the plants' roots appreciate that as well.
Cephalotus Pests?

Hello everyone! I had noticed some powdery substan[…]

I really enjoy my pinguicula flowers. The moctezum[…]

oh right thankyou

Utricularia roots n traps

i m kinda wondering, does terrestrial utricularia […]

Mealybugs (What to do)

Mealybugs are sap-drinking insects that can cause […]

Thank you all!! I will water it less as well as un[…]

PetFlyTrap.com has Sibuyanensis on sale for $20 as[…]

Fat Tuesday

I visited New Orleans once, the week after Mardis […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!