FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
I currently have two Nepenthes, a Sanguinea and Alata. I want to cross them and get seeds. What conditions would they have to be in to both flower at the same time? (I may share some seeds if your suggestion works for me :D )
By Nepenthes0260
Neps need to get very large before they flower. My sang flowered when it was around 1.5' wide and 4-5' tall. Sang and "alata" (it's probably ventrata, which is commonly mis-labled as alata. Alata is extremely rare in cultivation) are very fast growers for neps and mine took around five years to mature. Also, neps are dioecious plants (meaning they can ONLY be male or female. Most plants have male AND female reproductive organs.) so you have to hope that one is male and one is female. Males are much more common in cultivation.

Neps flower at irregular times, just whenever they're happy. My sanguinea flowered last winter. You'll have to get lucky to have them flower at the same time, but if one flowers before the other you can store the pollen and use it when the other is in flower.
By praxxus
I've had my ventrata flower a long time ago. When the pollen is ready, simply shake it or brush it off. But- judging by how long nepenthes takes to flower as mentioned by the previous commenter, by the time either of the plants actually flower, you would probably be knowledgable enough to know how to collect pollen. :D Just note, this is like a med-oriented high school student asking how to register for the MCAT. You'll get there.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!