FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By NakiAire
Today I found 4-5 of these mites only in the soil of my N. Ventrata (the soil I bought it in, never repotted). They are quick, white mites, avoiding the light of the microscope. I haven't found any leaf damage yet, nor mites on the leaves.

Any idea of what it could be? This is the first time I found them! :?

Thank y'all :)
Attachments:
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 1467 times
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 1467 times
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
No idea what they are, but I have learned through bitter experience to repot new plants with completely new soil, and rinse them thoroughly. I've received pings off ebay with fungus gnat larvae in the soil, stuff like that.

While leaving the original soil can reduce the stress of being moved, if there's risks of pests or something else wrong with the soil, then it can actually create more problems.

That being said, with my own plants, when repotting, I try and not disturb the roots too much and leave some of the old soil, but from my own soil mix.

Also I just released like 1,000 lacewing larvae into my yard, they're supposed to eat a lot of pests including aphids, mites and thrips. No idea how well it will actually work, but they have a good reputation. No good inside of course though.
By Dionaea Masukippa
I am no mite expert, if they move fast and aren't on your plants, they could be soil mites who are predatory and eat other mites and nematodes (possibly fungus gnat larvae too).

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Just let it be. Don't overthink it man. Worst that[…]

Get a magnifying glass 🔍

Kinda looks like old Jalapeños or bell pepp[…]

howdy!

I have lots of experience with agar so I want[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!