FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cylpol
Hi, I recently was able to get plantlets to grow off a leaf that I put in a cup of water for about a month with wrap on top for humidity. I put the plantlets into soil a few days ago and put a plastic bag on top. When do I take off the bag or when should I start cutting holes into the bag to lower humidity. Thank you for the help
By Shadowtski
I usually leave my pots domed/covered for about 2 weeks after transplantation.

If your plantlets had roots, 2 weeks should be good.

If roots had not emerged yet, then I'd give them 4 weeks of higher humidity. After that, I'd start to lower it.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By cylpol
Shadowtski wrote:I usually leave my pots domed/covered for about 2 weeks after transplantation.

If your plantlets had roots, 2 weeks should be good.

If roots had not emerged yet, then I'd give them 4 weeks of higher humidity. After that, I'd start to lower it.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
Thank you so much for you help. Almost forgot that they are supposed to grow roots. Do the roots grow on the other side of the leaf or do the roots grow to the side. I didn't see any roots on the plantlets even though it has been a little over the month since I put the leaves in the cup of water. Also I know it is dormancy season for these plants is it ok if they do not do that this season. Thank you
By Shadowtski
The roots grow from the base of the new growth bud, on the same side of the Mother-Leaf as the new bud/plantlet.

In my experience, it's usually a month for a bud to appear, another month to grow leaves, and a month later, the roots appear.

As long as it's looking healthy, the plant is happy. You may or may not see it go into dormancy and form a hibernaculum. Or it may go dormant but later in Winter.
Shadowtski liked this

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!