FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By RhysKi
Hello all! Just wanted to post some "baby" pictures of my newer Drosera & Dionaea seedlings. You can view them at (https://sites.google.com/view/jessica-teeters/cps). Right now, they are only about 7 weeks old (there are some pictures just below that section of them from before that as well.) from initial sprout/germination and look at them go! I have them in a Greenhouse now and it seems to be providing some great results. The D. Capensis and D. Jacoby "Spatulata" came from user Trip81 (thanks so much again, friend!) the D. Madagascariensis came from this forum's seed list, and the Dionaea Muscipula came from the FlyTrap store. I cannot say for sure at this point, but one of the mixed Dionaea seedlings may be a saw or fused tooth? However, it may be too soon to tell of course...

My only concern at this point is how close together some of the Drosera are grouping as they grow. I did my best to sprinkle them as evenly as possible, but some are still clustered pretty closely together. Is there any need for me to be worried about trying to split them up a little - or wait until they are bigger - or not at all? If so, how big should I wait for them to get before attempting to do so?

Otherwise, they look like happy little plants for the time being, and their colors are very nice!
By RhysKi
Hate to bump this up simply because I am searching for answers, but does anyone happen to have any tips or techniques for separating small Droseras (about 1-2 mm tall) that are grouped or bunched very closely together?

I know that not interrupting the roots is key, but as far as what tools/utensils or methods would work well I'm not sure...
By chomato
I don't have experience separating small plants, but I'm guessing 1-2mm is still too small. Do they all have carnivorous leaves? I'm assuming that the smaller they are, the higher the chance of them dying on you when you transplant them due to shock. I personally wouldn't think too much about separating them for now since they're so little. Maybe when they're like 1/2 in (~1cm)?
By steve booth
drosera are reasonably happy growing close together especially when seedlings. If they are that small at the moment, I would be inclined to let them grow on a bit till the roots are longer and they are large enough to handle. At that point dig them out with a teaspoon or similar, drop into rainwater and separate. Replant in very wet medium and keep wet till they establish.

Cjeers
Steve
steve booth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!