FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I got these as gemmae from @Raistlarn in April 2017. Planted them in a 4-inch pot of mostly peat, with a sprinkling of sand on top, and they seem to like it. They live on my windowsill now, and I keep water in that container under them, at varying levels. They aren't quite as brightly colored as they could be, but they seem happy enough with the lighting- they're growing well and don't look stretched.
I unfortunately lost some earlier this year when the container dried out for too long and the smaller ones with shorter roots suffered, and I haven't been sure how to get those dead ones out without disturbing the rest. I've fed them off and on, but I think mostly they get ahold of gnats. They've made gemmae twice, and now a few of them are flowering! I didn't actually know that these flowered at all, I thought they just made gemmae to reproduce.
So, what do I do with these? Are they self-pollinating, or do I have to figure out how to pollinate a flower that tiny?
Also, how long does peat work as a viable substrate? What's the longest someone's had a pot of D. nitidula going? I'm trying to figure out if I need to try to get the seeds into another pot, or if this one will work for a few more years.

By Ping
As far as I'm aware actually obtaining seeds from pygmy sundews is extremely difficult. That's why we rely on their gemmae for reproduction. I think the only benefit to pygmy flowers is that they smell wonderful and a crowed pot of pygmy 'dews flowering can be quite the show!
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!