FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ferin
Hello all! This may well be a stupid question, but I am feeling a bit desperate here. I really need to repot a Sarracenia that I received as a gift a few months back (it is HUGE and still in a starter pot). But I am a bit short on CP soil, and having just moved, I can't figure out where the heck to buy more. (Side note: I will get some more soil in a few months when I am back visiting, but I fear that is too long for this little dude--it is suffering).

So my question is, would it hurt my Sarracenia if I mixed a bit of Orchid Mix into the CP soil I have? Just enough to buff it up so I can get this little darling into a new home (we're talking like 70/30, CP/Orchid maybe?) . The orchid mix I have is western fir bark, charcoal, and perlite. Or do you have any other suggestions for what I could use? I live in a very tiny apartment, so buying bulk soil mixers to make my own is not ideal right now.

Thanks in advance!
By xanthoparmelia
It's not uncommon for nepenthes growers to use an orchid mix or include charcoal as a soil component. Feedback seems to be mixed and I can't speak from experience b/c I've never used orchid mix and I don't grow nepenthes. I do, however, have a non-CP terrarium with charcoal mixed into the substrate and all the plants are happy.

If I were to venture a guess, i'd say that you'd be fine with 30% for Sarracenia. If you don't want to gamble on feedback from some random dude on the internet, just go out and grab some peat from any Walmart, home improvement or hardware store. That's really all you need.
xanthoparmelia liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!