FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Ryan0988
I placed my sphagnum moss in a dome in a very shaded area however during a very hot day all of the moss turned white like the dead stuff you buy at the store. The drosera intermedia also got some heat damage. Is it possible for the colony to recover and grow new growth pointsImage
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg (744.65 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
or is it gone of good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By optique
intermedia? heat damage? wow mine takes the heat and ask for more. but the moss cant take that mid day sun on a hot day, mine blackens on the tips when it gets hot.
By Ryan0988
optique wrote:intermedia? heat damage? wow mine takes the heat and ask for more. but the moss cant take that mid day sun on a hot day, mine blackens on the tips when it gets hot.
Yeah i had this colony in almost full sun for months. Still don’t know how it got so hot that it did damage.
By optique
I would check how hot your media is getting when that container is in full sun, that black plastic and not much surface contact on bottom for the heat to adsorb into. I would guess that pot is getting really hot in the sun.
By Ryan0988
optique wrote:I would check how hot your media is getting when that container is in full sun, that black plastic and not much surface contact on bottom for the heat to adsorb into. I would guess that pot is getting really hot in the sun.
The colony was doing fine under full sun. It was after i moved it to a shaded area under a dome did the damage happen. Only took a day for it to happen. Its under lights indoors for now.
By mcgrumpers
My green sphagnum is normally fine with lots of light, but parts of it ended up turning brown from one day to the next. The cause wasn't excessive heat, but a lack of water. The tips of the strands that turned brown were dryer than they should have been. Dry strands can't tolerate any heat. The longer the strands get, the more water they need to ensure the tips of the strands don't get dry.

When covering the moss for increased humidity, I like to open some holes to ensure that there's at least a little ventilation. The extra humidity keeps the heat in but also helps prevent the tips of the strands from drying. I tried growing moss with and without a humidity dome, and the humidity dome condition won by far. Your mileage may vary.

My red moss needs even more light to grow properly (otherwise it turns green, thin, and weak). But I managed to burn it under direct sun, presumably because it needed to be hardened more.
By Ryan0988
mcgrumpers wrote:My green sphagnum is normally fine with lots of light, but parts of it ended up turning brown from one day to the next. The cause wasn't excessive heat, but a lack of water. The tips of the strands that turned brown were dryer than they should have been. Dry strands can't tolerate any heat. The longer the strands get, the more water they need to ensure the tips of the strands don't get dry.

When covering the moss for increased humidity, I like to open some holes to ensure that there's at least a little ventilation. The extra humidity keeps the heat in but also helps prevent the tips of the strands from drying. I tried growing moss with and without a humidity dome, and the humidity dome condition won by far. Your mileage may vary.

My red moss needs even more light to grow properly (otherwise it turns green, thin, and weak). But I managed to burn it under direct sun, presumably because it needed to be hardened more.
I don’t think that the cause was lack of water. It wasn’t just the tips that burned but rather the whole strand turned white. I also was very sure that the sphagnum was well watered. When I first found that the heads white the sphagnum was still like a soggy sponge.

That aside, what i wanted to know when i started this thread was weather or not the sphagnum would regrow. If you know if it will regrow and if their is anything i can do to help it regrow any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!