FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By NoUnknown000
Hello, I am pretty much new here. I've been interested in growing venus fly traps. It's been three weeks since I first sowed my seeds. Have I done something wrong or am I just actually impatient?

Here is a list of details about my seeds (apologies if it's very long, I just wanted to be very clear on what I did):
- I bought these seeds from a preferred store in an online shopping app. They claim to sell legitimate seeds and they warn their customers of fake seeds. Once I bought the seeds, they were kind enough to give me tips and a couple of websites showing me how to grow them. It took 5 days to get them delivered to me, plus they gave me coco peat and a small pot.
- The seeds I got are black and shiny, about a millimeter long, and are teardrop shaped (just like all the pictures I've seen of fly trap seeds).
- I kept the seeds in a plastic container for less than two weeks because I wanted to buy silica sand. I realized about a week later that silica sand is pretty hard to find here in the Philippines, so I had to buy them online and I got the sand 6 days later.
- I rinsed the sand with lots of distilled water until the water got just a tad bit cloudy.
- I mixed my coco peat and my sand together (both in almost equal amounts. Other sites say half and half, others two third coco peat and one third sand, and so on.) I didn't rinse my coco peat with water since one site told me they didn't have to rinse it and it gave them no problems.
- I spread my seeds equally throughout the soil with my hands (i might've buried some by accident, but it's quite hard to tell since the coco peat I had is pretty dark). The small pot I had is about 9.3 cm in diameter and 6 cm in depth.
- I sprayed the soil with distilled water quite often at random times throughout the day. (I think I've drowned them since I sprayed so much water in the first week)
- I would put it under direct sunlight outside since our windows and roofs are placed in such a way that there wouldn't be too much sunlight blinding our eyes everyday. I thought that there wasn't enough sunlight so I just placed it outside. Occasionally, the shadow of the trees and the roof of my room would block the light.
- I didn't need to put the pot in a bag with a bit of water since the humidity here is well over 50% everyday.
- The soil was probably too loose since it drained out with the water for about a week, but it has now stopped.
- Every night, I would place a cover on top so the nasty geckos looking for insects won't poop on it. It looks like some kind of small table so the cover is just hovering and not covering the top of the pot completely.
- Some ants would crawl around the bottom of the pot to drink some water and some would actually get in and out of the pot.

I do hope those details are quite enough. All suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks. I'll probably replace these seeds and start anew with all of your suggestions.
By Cross
Some thoughts:
1) we all stress over our seeds at point or another
2) my vft seeds didn't germinate for 3 months.
3) the ants won't hurt it, definitely keep it from the poop.
4) be careful with that sun. Harsh sun can burn seeds up. Seeds don't actually need light to germinate. The plant that comes out needs it. Harsh, hot light can murder that baby.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By thefic
I usually germinate seeds inside under led grow lights so I can better control heat, humidity, light, and moisture.

Germinating outside causes headaches and worry.

If those fail check the seed bank. Lots of free seeds for members. It's a great way to build an army of carnivores.

I donated some VFT seeds a few months ago and will be sending more soon.

Check out the how to section. There is a lot of great info available. And growing from seedlings is addictive.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!