FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
I like to grow my pings in a 1pt perlite, 1pt silica sand, 1pt peat mix. I have tried other mixes, but that one works best for me.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By twitcher
From what I've read, sounds like too much calcareous sand. Some pings don't need that, others can probably benefit. Think it depends on the exact species, but the common ones appear to not be picky. Keep in mind that I am only about a year into pings, but have been doing a lot of research.

Warm temperates, such as primuliflora, lutea, planiflora, etc. should have more peat. Most mexicans less peat and heavily mineral.

I have been using an organic peat added to aquatic plant soil (which is not soil but a mineral mix). The warm temperates get about 2:1 peat:aps while the mexicans have been getting 1:3-4 peat:aps. Everybody seems to be doing great except for P. gigantica which has been stubbornly non-cooperative but at least healthy. I have a number of plants growing in pure aps and doing well.

Again, it depends a bit on the species. The above suggestion is my starting point, then I look at pinguicula.org to find the site conditions and information for the plant source area or location.
Last edited by twitcher on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitcher liked this
By jeff
it really depends on the species you want to grow.
basically there are 3 species of substrate that can be found 'in situ' :

-limestone
-acid (peat)
-undifferentiated

I always advise to grow them in terrarium except some species not so many.

never forget that carnivores are therefore species that feed on insects,so if you have the possibility, for Mexicans leave outside May to October, in the shade - in mid shade or in the morning sun, sheltered from the rain, but always with a wet substrate not soggy
jeff liked this

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!