FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Brokechef1
20190622_195833.jpg
20190622_195833.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 2168 times
I've been trying to get everything there is to know about when and how to transplant my plant including every tip on this site. I've had it for 4 weeks and it's growing quick! How long until I can transplant a young potted trap?
By dewyray
Your plant looks great! Unless you absolutely have to repot right now, I'd wait. It's the growing season, and if root disturbance were to shock a flytrap plant, it would be now. I'd wait till around February to repot. Your plant will be fine in that pot till then.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
dewyray liked this
By Brokechef1
Wow! Really? It makes sense. We had a rough start to the season up here in New England but it has gone full circle and became the best season in recent memory. Thanks for the complement too.
By dewyray
I'm not sure how you were planning to repot. But, because it sphagnum moss, I wouldn't even separate the roots from it. Just slide the whole thing out, and put it in the new soil. And unless you're trying to get seeds, do your plant a favor and cut off any flower stalks you see. When I do let mine flower, I follow a very strict rule. If at any point in development that flower stalk isn't pointed directly at the sky, it gets cut off. It's a massive energy drain, healthy plant or not.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By Brokechef1
I want to pot it exactly how it's potted now-just bigger. I do not see any stalks just yet but I will cut them off if I see one. You're talking to a pure noob in this. I'm a quick study though, just want to make sure I'm doing it right but not over-do it. It should be healthy for long time since it's right by all of my herbs and tomatoes. Pure buffet for Val (that's its name).
By Brokechef1
Thanks F.O.S. That's honestly the reason for asking. Because it's doing so well I don't want to short it of the chance to get bigger. That's the thought. Do you agree to wait until after the dormancy period?
By Fieldofscreams
I recommend never repotting until early spring at the earliest. I wait until I start seeing signs of life which is about mid spring to late spring.
By Brokechef1
Thanks Jack! I'll take a pic of Val soon. It has so many little guys now it's unbelievable! I think I'll take the advice and transplant after a good dormancy. It's just growing so well I wouldn't want to disturb him.

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!