FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By toecutter
Hi, just out of interest. What's the consensus with dead removal on your pitchers? I have for the last 8 years or so, just simply ripped the dead pitchers from rhizome in an upward jerking motion on all of my plants. I do not cut at what green is left in autumn or early spring etc. I have always found this method enables the plants to flourish well in the spring as there is greater soil area to expand in the pot and the shock of being ripped at the rhizome encourages more vigorous growth.

What are your views?

Grown in the UK and left out all year round.
By Fieldofscreams
I cut the pitchers in the spring with scissors or by just ripping them out. Except for the ones that still have green on them. Once new ones start coming in I cut or rip out the ones I left.
By Cross
toecutter wrote:Hi, just out of interest. What's the consensus with dead removal on your pitchers? I have for the last 8 years or so, just simply ripped the dead pitchers from rhizome in an upward jerking motion on all of my plants. I do not cut at what green is left in autumn or early spring etc. I have always found this method enables the plants to flourish well in the spring as there is greater soil area to expand in the pot and the shock of being ripped at the rhizome encourages more vigorous growth.

What are your views?

Grown in the UK and left out all year round.
I'm trying really hard to take this seriously and take note for my sarracenias that I got already dormant. However.... all I can imagine is the horror movie music and a man with a crazed look ripping pieces out and laughing maniacally. Of course there is the obligatory lightning in the background. my overactive imagination aside, so you wait for pitchers to die back and then just yank then up?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!