FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FrankFnRizzo
So I have several fly traps in a small plastic pot in the window sill of my guest bedroom. Last week I noticed a new small plant growing in the sphagnum moss and decided to just let it grow. After about a week I noticed that the tiny plant really resembled a tiny pitcher plant and then I noticed another growing on the other side of the pot. Yesterday I was able to confirm they are in fact pitcher plants but I’ve never had a pitcher plant produce seeds and I’ve never possessed any seeds. How is this possible?
By FlyTrap Hunter
I had a volunteer s. Flava pop up last year. All I can figure is the soil gets contaminated some how. I do believe the wind will blow Sarracenia seeds. Also the soil could be contaminated with the Sarracenia seed while in the nursery and it germinated later.
By FrankFnRizzo
That is what I assumed, it grew from seeds that snuck it’s way into the potting medium from the flytrap nursery. I’ve just never seen it before and to see it happen twice at the same time was odd.
By javaliz59
I have a constant supply of Drosera Binata T form in my mini bog gardens (never purchased one so were stowaways). More have come up this year than last year. I'm now transplanting them into mini pots and giving them away to friends, family and coworkers that have asked for them. Tomorrow I'm doing it again as they're crowding out my Sarracenias. This time there's a newcomer I've never seen that looks suspiciously like a butterwort. I'll take a pic and will post it in attempt to ID it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By javaliz59
FrankFnRizzo wrote:Sarracenia. I have two small Purpureas in pots next to the fly trap pot but they are still very young and haven’t flowered yet.
Congrats on your baby Sarracenia btw. BOGO free.

By FrankFnRizzo
So I was admiring my outside miniature bog garden today and I noticed three more growing there! They are currently just two tiny leaves with even tinier pitchers growing in the middle but my only guess is that they came from the nursery and hitched a ride with the fly traps I planted considering they are all in close proximity to the fly trap section of my bog. Either way I’m pretty excited about it, carniverous plants are hard to find where I live and I’ve never been one that does much plant shopping online.
By javaliz59
Fieldofscreams wrote:Why doesn't this stuff happen to me.

All I get from most nurseries is sick and beat up plants lol
Awww. Sent you a message. Check your inbox. Should help.

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!