FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aesyir
Hello, I want to keep a few cephalotus in a terrarium and I have a few questions regarding that. What kind of soil mix should I use,would a 1:2 parts peat:perlite work (maybe topped with some sphagnum to keep the bottom from rotting)? How would I go about watering them in a terrarium?
By Shadowtski
I'm a Drosera guy but I have a few Cephalotus.
I grow them in a 1:1 peat:perlite mix.
I grow them in an uncovered open top 10 gallon fishtank so the get some airflow.
I put 1/4 inch distilled water in the fishtank and refill only when it's empty.
I grow them with pretty intense LED lighting.
Here's a shot of some of my typical Cephs.
Good lighting can make a Typical Cephalotus look almost as dark as an 'Eden Black' clone.
2 1/2 inch pot Typical Ceph.
2 1/2 inch pot Typical Ceph.
Resized952019050895134357958424.jpg (166.41 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
4 1/2 inch pot Typical Ceph.
4 1/2 inch pot Typical Ceph.
Resized952019050895134129957045.jpg (142.93 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Just me, my Cephalotus HATE high humifity. they all get powdery mildew and moldy. I use a 1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand (either sillica or play) and put a 1cm layer of sillica sand on top of the soil. My cephies like to be dry so I give them a 1cm layer of water in their tray and when it dries up I wait three days untill I give them more. I have seen people keep Cephalotus in a terrarium with suscess, but for me it's a lot easier when I just keep them on my grow shelves with the pings and dews
Hope this helps!
By Aesyir
My house tends to be 78f all day, I hear if they get hot enough in the day they need a to be cooled down quite a bit at night will I need to do the same or is that only when they get really hot.
By Nepenthes0260
Aesyir wrote:My house tends to be 78f all day, I hear if they get hot enough in the day they need a to be cooled down quite a bit at night will I need to do the same or is that only when they get really hot.
My cephalotus grow space easily gets over 85 in the day while down to 70 in the night and they do just fine. If they have super hot days and too little water tho they won’t do as good. As long as deep in the soil it’s moist enough for the roots to soak up water, they’ll be fine.
By Aesyir
Well you are getting a 15 degree drop my temp is the same at night as it is in the day or are you saying it doesn't matter as long as they are kept hydrated?
By Nepenthes0260
Aesyir wrote:Well you are getting a 15 degree drop my temp is the same at night as it is in the day or are you saying it doesn't matter as long as they are kept hydrated?
I am getting a 15 degree temp drop, but the temps are pretty high in the day. I’m not a cephalotus expert, but water helps them flourish. I think water is the key, although I experimented with some of mine putting them in high water (1/2 an inch of it constantly) and they all got mildew. With good air circulation and less water, they got cured. I’m saying with high temps they need water, just not an excessive amount.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Aesyir
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the help. I am just going to try it with my current house temperature the leds I have barely produce heat so it should not ever go over that temp. If it doesn't work out I will try again and figure out a way to cool it and see if it changes things.
St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!