FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DPlant
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why my Sarracenia has been growing smaller and smaller each year? Last year my Sarracenia were producing decent, mature-sized pitchers but now the traps are much more thinner and although the traps are very tall and long, the opening/head of the traps are extremely small. Could anyone offer an explanation?

Thanks so much!
By steve booth
A picture and more background info would help, but light and water are important, assuming these are right, have you changed the medium at any point since you had it as it does deteriorate. As it gets older and is constantly washed through it looses its acidity, when that happens the lack of acidity allows nutrients to be released as the substrate breaks down, then the plant gets smaller and eventually dies from nutrient burn, or if it’s a small pot then the nutrients may get washed away also leaving a not very acid or PH neutral soil, which again akes for small ‘ill’ plants.
Cheers
Steve
By enderagent89
Sarracenia prefer "bright" locations that has direct sunlight. They hate additional minerals, they will not thrive in high nutrience soil. They prefer rain water, do not give them tap water or mineral water, these are alkali; if you are desperate and need to give it tap water, then do so, but make it a one off, they absolutely hate tap water. Don't overfeed them, maybe 1 or 2 bugs a week, sarracenia aren't the largest of plants - especially if you bought them in a garden centre - as the plant grows, it will accept more bugs. The best temperates are between 60 and 70F for their growth. Make sure the soil is boggy and damp, during the winter you do not want to soil to be too moist, however the soil must at all times feel damp to the finger.

If these requirements have not been met, they need to be. Pitcher plants are quite forgiving for a poor quality of life, however that does not mean they can thrive in it. If these requirements, however, have been met please pot an image of the plant,

- Ender

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!