FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Painley
So I have tried with nepenthes several times and failed miserably. The plants would send out deformed and stunted growth going downhill although they would not die. I had proper temperatures humidity and plenty of lighting. They were grown in a terrarium with 3 strips of T8 6500k bulbs. Humidity was around 80+. I ended up tossing them to my budy to take care of and within a month he had amazing growth from them in nearly the same conditions. Within a year they were looking amazing under his care. At this point nabbed one back up from him to give Nepenthes anouther try only to yield the same results. I could not figure out for the life of me what happened and why he could grow them and I couldnt. I was giving them everything they needed. Eventually I experimented decided I would mix in some warmer t8 5000k bulbs in with my grow lights replacing 2/6 builbs on my shelf. emedietly I noticed different growth and coloration on all my plants.
Once again I tried to keep a Nepenthes and this time with great success. The changing of the lighting fixed all my problems. Something so simple that changed everything and I am now getting amazing growth and pitchers from my plants. The sad part however is that my buddy forgot to water the rest of my plants for a month leaving me with only one plant. :( but no worries because I have replaced my collection.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Last edited by Painley on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fieldofscreams
What kind is it?

I treat my Ventricosa like crap, during the summer I keep it outside in full sun all day, I leave it outside when temps get close to freezing, I forget to water it, I keep it in a window with minimal light in the winter and I don't repot it as much as I should.

It won't stop growing, it grows like a weed.
By Painley
Fieldofscreams wrote:What kind is it?

I treat my Ventricosa like crap, during the summer I keep it outside in full sun all day, I leave it outside when temps get close to freezing, I forget to water it, I keep it in a window with minimal light in the winter and I don't repot it as much as I should.

It won't stop growing, it grows like a weed.
It was a bunch of lady lucks, ventricosa, alata, sanguania. Very easy growing plants I was struggling with. I have alot more variety now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Sorry I don't have a Ventricosa, I have a Ventrata.....basically the same thing.

At least with the Ventricosa and Lady Luck you can just throw them outside, they should grow like weeds.

This is what mine looks like after winter with minimal light:

It stopped pitchering and started killing off the existing pitchers over the winter but what it did instead was grow out of control, 4 plants turned into 7. I seriously treat it like crap, as I do with most my CP's, yet they all grow insanely fast and healthy.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!