FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
I got my first order for the seed bank a few days ago and I’m ready to grow CP’s for the first time! I’ve done some research on how to grow D capensis from seed but there are a couple thing that info seems to vary on and I wanted to get your opinions.

Most people suggest to bag the pot but I’ve also read a couple people say not to. What does everyone here do?

Only other thing I’m unclear on is what are the light requirements?
By Painley
Sometimes I use saran wrap instead of a bag. The humidity will help with germination and seedlings so it is a good thing to have. A mature D. capensis can definitely handle lower humidity if acclimated properly.

The more light the better as long as you are not roasting the seedlings. I have used t8 fixtures for germination. It seems to work well. I just keep a fan blowing over everything to keep it cooler. A south facing windowsill can work also. Image

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Painley liked this
By Painley
Sometimes I use saran wrap instead of a bag. The humidity will help with germination and seedlings so it is a good thing to have. A mature D. capensis can definitely handle lower humidity if acclimated properly.

The more light the better as long as you are not roasting the seedlings. I have used t8 fixtures for germination. It seems to work well. I just keep a fan blowing over everything to keep it cooler. A south facing windowsill can work also. Image

By CpKid
I also got Capensis seed from the seed bank, and I placed it on some soil inside a clear restaurant take out container. That keeps the humidity perfectly. I'll post some pictures when I get germination.
By Cross
Painley wrote:Sometimes I use saran wrap instead of a bag. The humidity will help with germination and seedlings so it is a good thing to have. A mature D. capensis can definitely handle lower humidity if acclimated properly.

Hey, I was wondering what species that is? ..it's like a sundew lawn lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Painley
Cross wrote:
Painley wrote:Sometimes I use saran wrap instead of a bag. The humidity will help with germination and seedlings so it is a good thing to have. A mature D. capensis can definitely handle lower humidity if acclimated properly.

Hey, I was wondering what species that is? ..it's like a sundew lawn lol

It is D. Capensis I started from seed about a year ago. I call it the Cape forest Image it's going outside into a large pot this summer. It will be a beautiful pot.

By Cross
Forest is right! it's gorgeous . I'm over here like I need the molasses forest in my home. Ok, I'm just going to order which ever seeds and hope it turns into a forest too lol

Last edited by Cross on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Painley
I tried to take pictures regularly of thier growth. I even have pictures of the stalk I collected the seeds from. Some of them are even at the point where they are flowing. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Painley, Painley liked this
By CpKid
Wow, that gives me inspiration to try something like that! Really nice! Did you weed any out, or just let them grow out like that?
By Painley
CpKid wrote:Wow, that gives me inspiration to try something like that! Really nice! Did you weed any out, or just let them grow out like that?
I let them grow like that. I definitely lost alot of them however. Survival of the fittest ImageImage

By Cross
That's so awesome! Lol when that pot flowers lol. How many years before they start producing seeds?

By Mpott302
I’m gonna try a south facing window sill before spending money on another light. Do you keep your pots in trays of water while germinating or just wet the soil and cover it (I imagine it wouldn’t dry out very fast that way)
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!