FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Lukebart02
:shock: Well it seems like Mother Nature is not on my side, right as a was lightening up a little bit since December was over, it hit, the cold snap that is, and my Venus flytraps even right next to a heating pad on high, in a green house, froze slightly, and they are bound to thaw even with the heating pad off.This is the second time this year, hopefully they survive.
Last edited by Lukebart02 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SundewWolf
It could be fine. Some light freezing on VFT's is not a big deal (if they have been acclimated to it, and since they were outdoors all year so far your's should be fine). They say the "freeze - thaw" cycles are bad, but I think this is only if it's swinging between the extremes very rapidly. A few freezes under normal winter conditions with dormant plants shouldn't really affect them. Also if it's just some slight surface freezing and not the entire pot your plants should be fine. I would just continue to provide the protection you have going on and wait until spring.
SundewWolf liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
They will be fine. Mine have gotten freezing temps and covered with frost a few times this year. Last year their pots froze solid and I didn’t lose any.
By Lukebart02
SundewWolf wrote:It could be fine. Some light freezing on VFT's is not a big deal (if they have been acclimated to it, and since they were outdoors all year so far your's should be fine). They say the "freeze - thaw" cycles are bad, but I think this is only if it's swinging between the extremes very rapidly. A few freezes under normal winter conditions with dormant plants shouldn't really affect them. Also if it's just some slight surface freezing and not the entire pot your plants should be fine. I would just continue to provide the protection you have going on and wait until spring.
Ok thank you! It helps a lot, just cause I’ve heard if they freeze completely you have to keep them frozen the rest of the winter or else they may die if they freeze again.
By Lukebart02
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:They will be fine. Mine have gotten freezing temps and covered with frost a few times this year. Last year their pots froze solid and I didn’t lose any.
Ok thank you!
By Lukebart02
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:They will be fine. Mine have gotten freezing temps and covered with frost a few times this year. Last year their pots froze solid and I didn’t lose any.
Ok thank you!
By Lukebart02
Carpy321 wrote:Mine in UK have frozen twice and are fine, relax they'll be fine x

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I was being a little overdramatic bc I was Tired and had a bad day but this helps :)
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!