FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Hi I'm new,
My jaws showed up. It says dormant plant on the sticker on the paper, so my question is, this is dormant then? So, I live in pennsylvania. The temperatures are going down to 30's and 40's. So, how do I handle dormancy in this? I have a lamp with a CFL bulb, 5000k. So I just water every few days, mimmick day hours with the lamp, and leave it in the window? It's been warm the last few days, but it's dipping again. Thanks for the help.
Chris

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Doublebass1985
Yes I would think your plant came to you under dormancy, which that kinda sucks cuz most people don't really know what to do and I'm not 100% sure either since this year will be my first time. Anyways during dormancy you don't want to water so frequently ,but you don't want it to dry out for too long either keeping it just slightly damp is ideal. The 5K cfl you have could be possibly enough. How many lumens does the bulb say? For one plant with one bulb I would try and get a bulb with 1600 lumens. Home Depot is the only store I could find 6500 K cfl regular house bulbs. Lowe's doesn't carry shitaki for selection of color temperature unless you tube sockets. Home Depot also carry a nice LED grow bulb by felt electric they are full spectrum too.
By Fieldofscreams
Yes its dormant, its why they put a sticker on it letting you know its dormant.

Just put it in a south, east or west facing window and keep the soil moist but not wet (you should be doing that with the soil year round). No need to give it more light than what one of those windows would provide. During dormancy they don't need much light.

In the spring put it outside where it will get at least 6+ hours of direct sunlight.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!