Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PepeGomez
20180915_102653.jpg
20180915_102653.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 5367 times
20180915_102627.jpg
20180915_102627.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5367 times
Good morning everyone.

About a month ago I got a venus Flytrap. It was almost dead, with just a couple, very bad looking leaves, and the store was just going to bin it, so I just took it to try and save it.

It is doing do much better now, with more space, proper soil, rain water and as much sun as I can give it in the UK, it´s growing lots of new leaves, it looks healthy to me, and it even catches a fly or two every now and then.

However, the new leaves just don´t stand right. Every new sprout starts great, groing up, but as the trap starts to develope, it looks like it can´t hold the weight, and it falls down. The leaves look good and the traps works well, it just seem to not be strong enought. Is there anything I can do about it??

Also, lately a very thing green layer (moss I think) is appearing in the soil. Should I do something about it?

Thank you very much for your help
By carelerasmus
I personally (PERSONALLY) think that enough sun can go through windows to make for very healthy flytraps also I believe that the "floppyness" of the traps could be genetic, in the sense that maybe its just a floppy flytrap? if you could get a different flytrap from somewhere else, and keep it next to your floppy one, you should be able to test this theory also, the green layer looks to be algae, indicating that you might be overwatering! But the algae itself isn't that big of a problem at all! Hope this helps! Again, only my opinion

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
carelerasmus liked this
By Doublebass1985
They can take a long time to heal back to a healthy plant sometimes it just depends on the individual plant and how well it was treated. My best advice for you go to walmart buy a walmart brand grow light for 5$ place in a desk lamp 2" above the plant and you will notice significant results
Doublebass1985 liked this
By Fieldofscreams
There is an easy and cheap solution....put it outside. (Slowly acclimate if you want)

The plants that I have that grow tall upright traps started slowly falling over this past month but this is because fall is coming, they are getting ready to start dying off.
By Doublebass1985
I also believe you can get enough sunlight through a window ,but there is a few factors how many panes are the window 1?,2?,3? 1 will be your best cuz there is no argon gas inbetween the panes that would filter out alot of the suns rays. The other factor is which direction is the window facing ideally you want south then east. If you put your plant outside its free and doesnt cost anything except the water, but I am noticing a substantial improvement when i switched my plants to indoors under led grow bulbs holy crap its like night and day difference. I will never go back to growing them outdoors its just it costs a little bit of electricity but the benefit outweighs the cost imo.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!