Help

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here
Dmackert

Help

by Dmackert » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Had someone give me 15 orchids. What are good books to help identify them and learn more about them. Also I ended up burning one of them. I put it to close to the light and I think it is one that has a monkey looking flower. Should I cut back the dead leaves or let them alone?
Thank you in advance!

Jeeper

Re: Help

by Jeeper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Pictures would help classify and determine the needs of each orchid. To be honest a quick down n dirty book is one from Better Homes and Gardens you can find at Barnes and Noble. It puts most everything in categorical chapters and has a small 'catalog' in the back of common industry species and their conditions. Lots of pictures to help understand what they are talking about.
Mechanic by trade, teacher by profession, CP addict by confession...

My Growlist

evenwind

Re: Help

by evenwind » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 pm

The are probably 25,000 (or more) orchid species in the world and maybe a third of them are in some sort of cultivation. Plus there are thousands of hybrids. So pics are a must. That said, a large percentage of casual orchid growers start with Phals - you might want to Google "phalaenopsis orchid" pics and see if any of yours come close.
"If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear - is he still wrong?"

- T-shirt in Old Town, Albuquerque, NM

Return to Orchids