FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FoXTro
I live in a Manhattan apartment, if I put it outside it would get stolen or eaten by mice. So I’m kind of stuck

I don’t have a fire escape or balcony.[/quote]
I can help you with that. First do you have a sunny window sill? If you do put them their. If it's facing Southwest that's great too. I did that at my old house before I had to move. My traps are inside as well, and need more light. So I do have a backyard to put them, so I might as well put out there. Now, if you don't have a sunny window, you can buy a growing light, they can be expensive, but it's worth it. Use distilled water too, and dormancy I honestly don't know what to say if you live inside of an apartment, all I can say is...If you have a window (doesn't matter if it's sunny or not) Just put them their, because the window can get a little chilly, and can put them to sleep! I hope I helped you just a little bit. :D[/quote]

Oh yes, they are in my south window where it gets plenty of light from east and west (that’s the best part about living on a grid) I also have a light which I modified to make into a growing light (day light bulb with a photography filter on it ) so it is the correct color temperature.

I am just unsure of dormancy, I like my apartment cold, but probably not cold enough. So I don’t really know how that is going to work or what to do if it doesn’t.[/quote]

Honesty your good to go! If you window gets chilly in Winter you can just leave them there, or put them into the fridge! No big problem! :D
By Fieldofscreams
If your window opens you can get a window shelf that sits outside the window.
By Missy2498
Fieldofscreams wrote:If your window opens you can get a window shelf that sits outside the window.

The window opens, but the screen doesn’t for safety reasons. It’s a nyc regulation.
By Fieldofscreams
People in your situation have a valid reason why you cant grow them outside. Unfortunately you will have to make a choice whether or not to invest a ton of money, time, resources and patience to maybe be successful in growing them or make the choice to not grow them at all.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!