FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FoXTro
I live in a Manhattan apartment, if I put it outside it would get stolen or eaten by mice. So I’m kind of stuck

I don’t have a fire escape or balcony.[/quote]
I can help you with that. First do you have a sunny window sill? If you do put them their. If it's facing Southwest that's great too. I did that at my old house before I had to move. My traps are inside as well, and need more light. So I do have a backyard to put them, so I might as well put out there. Now, if you don't have a sunny window, you can buy a growing light, they can be expensive, but it's worth it. Use distilled water too, and dormancy I honestly don't know what to say if you live inside of an apartment, all I can say is...If you have a window (doesn't matter if it's sunny or not) Just put them their, because the window can get a little chilly, and can put them to sleep! I hope I helped you just a little bit. :D[/quote]

Oh yes, they are in my south window where it gets plenty of light from east and west (that’s the best part about living on a grid) I also have a light which I modified to make into a growing light (day light bulb with a photography filter on it ) so it is the correct color temperature.

I am just unsure of dormancy, I like my apartment cold, but probably not cold enough. So I don’t really know how that is going to work or what to do if it doesn’t.[/quote]

Honesty your good to go! If you window gets chilly in Winter you can just leave them there, or put them into the fridge! No big problem! :D
By Fieldofscreams
If your window opens you can get a window shelf that sits outside the window.
By Missy2498
Fieldofscreams wrote:If your window opens you can get a window shelf that sits outside the window.

The window opens, but the screen doesn’t for safety reasons. It’s a nyc regulation.
By Fieldofscreams
People in your situation have a valid reason why you cant grow them outside. Unfortunately you will have to make a choice whether or not to invest a ton of money, time, resources and patience to maybe be successful in growing them or make the choice to not grow them at all.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!