FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
This seems to be such a simple idea that I'm sure it has been tried - but I can't find anything on it.

Is it possible to successfully mail newly removed ping leaves?

When I acquire a new ping, I frequently have to remove lowest leaves because they curled under during shipping. I don't necessarily want to plant these leaves, I may not even have room for them. But I don't want to waste them either. So I usually wind up planting a few of the best and discarding the rest. I would happily stick the extras in one of those small condiment cups with some damp NZS and ship them out. Granted, they would have just gone thru the trauma of shipping and they wouldn't likely be the premier type of leaves (winter succulent) for striking, but I find about 2/3 of the ones I keep do strike. So has anybody tried this? Did it work out?
By jeff
I try to send leaves cutting on long trips more than 10 days without success on the other hand on shorter journeys of the order of 24-48 hours it works.

but the best way is to try

pay attention to customs, in some countries they do not like the transport of living materials
By promethean_spark
I've placed leaves that broke off in shipping on media and had them produce more plants, so it should be possible. However, I'd much rather be sent a plant (and send for that matter, taking pride in my work).
By Bob Beer
I’ve done it several times. I like to use little condiment/dressing containers (you can get them cheap at restaurant supply stores) and pack the pullings in just damp sphagnum. Ie wet it then squeeze as much of the water out as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!