FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By xanthoparmelia
These things are tiny. I understand that you can accelerate growth by carefully feeding fish food/freeze dried blood worms, but I'd prefer not to right now, b/c I don't want to promote mold growth. Currently they're 2-3 weeks old from germination and living in a terrarium, but all my other dews are outside.

If I just leave them unfed, will they continue to grow (even if it is slow)?

Would it benefit them to expose them to sun for brief periods of time?

If they're only 2-3 weeks old, do i just need to be patient and let them get some size first? I can see the carnivorous leaves, but they're tiny.
By KStap18
I've gone ahead and fed the leaves of seedling with sizes of food about the size of the dew. That said, sometimes mold does end up growing, but I noticed that it's really easy to just scrape the mold off with a toothpick and the plant does just fine after that. Especially if you are checking on the seedlings daily, I'm sure you'll be able to catch even the slightest bit of mold forming and can get rid of it without doing harm to your seedlings.

They will do fine without feeding but it's fun seeing the rapid growth! I have couple days. burmannii and intermedia flowering just after about 4 months!

Hope this helps!

Edit: I forgot to add I like to wait until I see at least 3 carnivorous leaves before I start feeding.
KStap18 liked this
By xanthoparmelia
KStap18 wrote:I've gone ahead and fed the leaves of seedling with sizes of food about the size of the dew. That said, sometimes mold does end up growing, but I noticed that it's really easy to just scrape the mold off with a toothpick and the plant does just fine after that. Especially if you are checking on the seedlings daily, I'm sure you'll be able to catch even the slightest bit of mold forming and can get rid of it without doing harm to your seedlings.

They will do fine without feeding but it's fun seeing the rapid growth! I have couple days. burmannii and intermedia flowering just after about 4 months!

Hope this helps!

Edit: I forgot to add I like to wait until I see at least 3 carnivorous leaves before I start feeding.
Thank you. This is exactly the type of feedback i'm looking for.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!