FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kjuure
Soooo.....

I'm new to Venus Fly Traps and got these from Bunnings (Australian Hardware Store). I recently re-potted them into separate pots in a 1:1 peat moss and perlite. The problem is, the trap heads are in the soil and I don't know why. The stems are strong so it seems like it grew like that. I did however, recently swapped from tap water to distilled finding out that it is bad for the plant. I also eased them into the Queensland sun since they were inside a lot of the time. I really don't know what to do since the traps are pretty much always activated since the soil is inside. I'm pretty certain the plant is stressed. Should I raise the stems or something?
Attachments:
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG (623.65 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
By Kjuure
Yes it is, but I live in the north so its never under 15 C unless on cold winter nights. I'm in zone 11 for USA. Also there are new stems growing so I don't really know if they are. I'm almost certain I will need to induce dormancy for them.
By Fieldofscreams
They are dormant, you will need to wait until spring for them to come back to life. Temperature isn't all that important for dormancy, its the way the sun tracks across the sky that triggers dormancy and number of daylight hours.

I would just leave them alone and keep the soil barely moist until spring.
By Kjuure
Should I leave it outside during its dormancy? I haven't quite got to the point where I leave it out completely in the sun since I was slowly introducing them to the hot sun. Now that I know they are dormant, would leaving them out awaken them from dormancy since they never really got direct sun before I got them and since? I am currently only leaving them out for a few hours of direct sun since I can't monitor them as I am at school. Would indirect sunlight be enough until spring comes around?
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I’m pretty sure the plant is just a little jostled from its repotting. It’s normal for a plant to not look right after being repotted. When it grew its leaves it was growing them in adjustment to its previous environment, so when you took it out it out of there and repotted it, its leaves won’t fit well and it will look a little odd. Give it some time after it gets through it’s dormancy and it start to put out new leaves that will be above the soil.
By SundewWolf
^ I agree with that. When you get bare root VFT's and plant them they often look like this. Looks like it was repotted a little more shallow (white areas near rhizome are visible) so the leaves flopped over. They will grow new leaves that are oriented normally once they are in the growth phase.
By Kjuure
I am now facing another problem. My traps are touching the rim of the pot. Should I just unpot it and place more soil underneath to avoid stressing out the plants by fully replanting or should I just leave them alone.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!