FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By t9gear
I really can’t seem to find the answer anywhere in google land.

Are dente flytraps “typical” or “hybrids”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Dente flytraps are cultivars.

It seems that specifically they originate from a wild collected plant (dente = dentate traps according to the ICPS) so going off of that it seems like a seed grown wild plant that had a more unusual trait, which was collected, cloned and now distributed under a cultivar name. (cultivar = cultivated variety).

"Typical" is anything that has a common appearance to it (average ones sold in stores & seed grown plants with no special characteristics). "Hybrid" is not often a used terms since a lot of crosses are done and most cultivars have mixed parentage... it's easier to just either give it a cultivar name or leave it as a "seed grown"/"typical". "Hybrid" also sounds like something reserved for two organisms that are not closely related to each other (and all flytrap varieties are the same species 'D. muscipula' just with different appearances) , so plants grown from seeds from i.e. an Akai ryu x alien wouldn't even be considered 'hybrids', the more commonly used term would be to just call it a "cross" (cross pollination between two plants).
SundewWolf liked this
By Jeeper
"Akai ryu x alien"

Now that would be a trap I'd pay top dollar for...
By t9gear
SundewWolf wrote:Dente flytraps are cultivars.

It seems that specifically they originate from a wild collected plant (dente = dentate traps according to the ICPS) so going off of that it seems like a seed grown wild plant that had a more unusual trait, which was collected, cloned and now distributed under a cultivar name. (cultivar = cultivated variety).

"Typical" is anything that has a common appearance to it (average ones sold in stores & seed grown plants with no special characteristics). "Hybrid" is not often a used terms since a lot of crosses are done and most cultivars have mixed parentage... it's easier to just either give it a cultivar name or leave it as a "seed grown"/"typical". "Hybrid" also sounds like something reserved for two organisms that are not closely related to each other (and all flytrap varieties are the same species 'D. muscipula' just with different appearances) , so plants grown from seeds from i.e. an Akai ryu x alien wouldn't even be considered 'hybrids', the more commonly used term would be to just call it a "cross" (cross pollination between two plants).
Thank you for going above and beyond to give me an answer

Would you consider a Lowe’s rescue dente find a score or are they pretty common at whole sellers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Jeeper wrote:"Akai ryu x alien"

I would wait years until it's cheap, like always lol.
But keep in mind, the seeds from crosses have no guarantee of anything. They could all sprout as typicals. It will take many attempts to get the imagined red alien offspring, and might not even be possible at all lol. I am not giving up hope though. I would personally select a different red parent, since Akai ryu seems like a bit of a weak grower IMO.
By SundewWolf
t9gear wrote:
Would you consider a Lowe’s rescue dente find a score or are they pretty common at whole sellers
They are one of the more common cultivars offered at stores and nursery (along with 'Akai ryu'), But i would still consider it a good find since most of the time what I have seen at stores are half dead typicals.
By Kenneth
Jeeper wrote:"Akai ryu x alien"

I would pay for a DC XL x Alien, Maroon monster x Kronos, DC Xl x Purple Haze XD
What is this thing?

There are a bunch of these squirming around in one[…]

IMG_4327.jpeg This is the pot in question.

sase sent again thank you Sent from my SM-S918U u[…]

What variety is that?

Boy this is hard work

What's the going rate for plants in your area?

My biggest Sarracenia

I checked up on my plants today and noticed this t[…]

I'm kinda late to the party, but if you have a Tra[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome Andrew what's been your favorite CP to gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!