FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SmartCheeseBurger
Hi, it's me again. My nepenthes ventrata thats outside is sunburnt because it got 9 hours of sunlight a day but now I put it in a more of a shady spot which gets some morning sun and like an hour and a half of direct afternoon sun. It looks ugly but now that I put in a spot with less sunlight but I'm wondering if the plant will recover from the sunburns. This is basically a recap of the post I did called "HELP, Leaf Damage!" but with another question. Since nobody answered that post lol :lol: I just moved it to that shadier spot I asked if I should move it to. I hope I can get answers in this post and not like the other post :lol:. If I do get answers, thanks so much :D !
By hollyhock
I had a Nepenthes Miranda that got severely sunburned. The plant eventually recovered but I lost the older leaves. But it's more important to protect the new growth. So you are on the right track to keep your plant in indirect lighting rather than the harsh sunlight. Hope that this helps.
By SmartCheeseBurger
Wow :o ! I've never had a Forum moderator or someone who works at the website respond to me ever before :shock: ! Thanks very much for the info it helps me a lot :D ! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that does too much sun make the plants leaves shrink? and can the sunburn on the plant fade away?
By hollyhock
You're funny. I am just another grower like you. I have volunteered to help keep out posts that are offensive and trouble makers that come to the forums just to harass our community. That's a moderator job. As far as the leaves recovering from the burn. Mine eventually shriveled up and turned brown. But meanwhile new growth was coming. Could you post a picture of the plant, so we can see this shrinking leaves that's a concern? Hopefully we can help you with the situation. :D
hollyhock liked this
By SmartCheeseBurger
hollyhock wrote:You're funny. I am just another grower like you. I have volunteered to help keep out posts that are offensive and trouble makers that come to the forums just to harass our community. That's a moderator job. As far as the leaves recovering from the burn. Mine eventually shriveled up and turned brown. But meanwhile new growth was coming. Could you post a picture of the plant, so we can see this shrinking leaves that's a concern? Hopefully we can help you with the situation. :D
Here are the pictures, in winter it stopped pitchering but now I think its pitchering again. Also thanks for telling me what a forum moderator is :lol: !
Attachments:
Same plant in November 10th 2017 (other pictures are of how the plant looks like now)
Same plant in November 10th 2017 (other pictures are of how the plant looks like now)
IMG_1120.JPG (257.22 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
Old leaf size
Old leaf size
IMG_0020.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7331 times
Newer leaf size but now the leaves look like they're becoming bigger
Newer leaf size but now the leaves look like they're becoming bigger
IMG_0021.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 7331 times
Sunburns on leaves
Sunburns on leaves
IMG_0024.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 7331 times
The whole plant
The whole plant
IMG_0025.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 7331 times
The growth points are starting to look more green
The growth points are starting to look more green
IMG_0026.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 7331 times
By hollyhock
I think you may lose a few of the lower leaves, the ones that are yellow. But overall in my opinion your plant looks good and healthy. Just keep it out of the full sun . I think they weren't shrinking just curling from what I can tell in the picture.
By SmartCheeseBurger
Thanks for the answers I really appreciate it :D ! But I don't know where else to put it where is doesn't get direct afternoon sun, it's literally everywhere :lol: but I have one place in mind, I was thinking of putting the plant next to some calla lilies that are also next to a tree that gives dappled sunlight, but sadly the tree was my aunt's who used to live at my house going but moved is going to be dug out of the spot and moved to my aunt's new house. It's an almond tree. Even if the tree is going to be gone, will the plant still do good next to the calla lilies and will that increase the humidity? Oh and I'm wondering if I *leaf the plant *get it chuckle chuckle chuckle* next to the calla lilies, will the pitcher plant get infested with bugs/pests like earwigs/pincher bugs digging into the soil and living there and would it also get spider mites and aphids. Sorry if I write too much I just have so many questions :lol: .
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!