FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chloroplast92
Hey everyone, I had a question about S. leucophylla 'Schnell's ghost.' Can someone tell me if this is a hybrid between leucophylla and another species or if it's just leucophylla (purebred I guess, don't know what to call it.) I also read up that these guys make yellow flowers but I found a seller a while back that was selling one with red flowers, so would that still be considered under the title "Schnell's ghost?"
By Shadowtski
Chloroplast92 wrote:Hey everyone, I had a question about S. leucophylla 'Schnell's ghost.' Can someone tell me if this is a hybrid between leucophylla and another species or if it's just leucophylla (purebred I guess, don't know what to call it.) I also read up that these guys make yellow flowers but I found a seller a while back that was selling one with red flowers, so would that still be considered under the title "Schnell's ghost?"
This plant is a mutant discovered back in 1972 or so and registered as a Cultivar (Cultivated Variety)

It is a Sarracenia leucophylla, not a hybrid.

Here's a quick link: http://legacy.carnivorousplants.org/cpn ... 11_14.html

If it has a Red flower, I would say that is not a specimen of Schnell's Ghost, but hey, what do I know? I'm a Drosera guy. :) That's just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Shadowtski
Chloroplast92 wrote:So would the red flower knock it out of the category since it is known to be yellow flowered?
The Yellow flower is the prime identifying characteristic, so I would certainly say so.
Once a cultivar is registered, it can only be reproduced by cloning.
If it was self-pollinated, the resultant seeds would not be identical to the parent plant.
Someone probably grew such seeds to maturity and sold the plants as the original plant, even though they're genetically different.
That's just my opinion.

Good growing,
Mike
By boarderlib
"I am registering the cultivar name Sarracenia leucophylla ‘Schnell’s Ghost’, which should be applied to all clones of the species with yellow flowers and predominantly white coloured lids and upper pitchers. Since seed from self-pollinated individuals of this clone breed true (and presumably between different clones of this cultivar), Sarracenia leucophylla ‘Schnell’s Ghost’ may be propagated both asexually from cuttings and sexually from seed, as long as the cultivar characters are maintained."

Directly from the ICPS
http://legacy.carnivorousplants.org/cpn ... 11_14.html

If I'm reading this correctly if it has red in the flower, it is not 'Schnell's Ghost'

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!