FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
I picked up these 3 drosera at 2 different nurserys. The 2 healthy looking ones don't have much dew. They are super fuzzy. I have had them 5 days and they seem to be starting to dew up. They are huge compared to my Red Frasier Island Spatulata(bigger than a silver dollar). They almost don't seem real, but they have little babies growing on their under leaves. :)

The 2nd unhealthy one was really on its death bed when I rescued it. I believe it has enough green to come back. I believe its the same all green Frasier Island Spatulata but could use some reassurance.

I'm just guessing from picture searches.
allgreen
allgreen
IMG_7385.JPG (289.87 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
By fattytuna
All Drosera spatulata, even in the wild, look more or less like that when deprived of light. Arbitrary characters such as size and colour are simply unable to distinguish a plant as a location variety, especially the Australian forms. In my opinion, the only Australian variety that is morphologicaly unique is D. spatulata var. gympiensis with its giant flower. Some NZ and Asian forms also look different but are rare in cultivation.
fattytuna liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
fattytuna wrote:All Drosera spatulata, even in the wild, look more or less like that when deprived of light. Arbitrary characters such as size and colour are simply unable to distinguish a plant as a location variety, especially the Australian forms. In my opinion, the only Australian variety that is morphologicaly unique is D. spatulata var. gympiensis with its giant flower. Some NZ and Asian forms also look different but are rare in cultivation.
ok I get it. these all green are actually starting to get more reddish as they get more sunlight. just the color is getting different. its probably making dew. They were certainly light deprived. I know they like as much light as they can get. Thank you
By Fly Trap Hunter
green
green
IMG_7992.JPG (92.78 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
I got this little guy a few months back. it was flat like a d.spatulata. Now, it has several growth points within itself. it looks like 3 large adult plants coming out of one center area. the roots are so tight that you can't pull them apart. They seem to be clumping up. it also sends out tiny divisions that eventually look like little spiders from the bottom of its leaves. it seems to also make leaf cutting strikes easily and the leaf is sturdy. it seems to be stiffer, furrier and not as wet as my Frazier Island Spatulata. and it makes a lot of divisions. its mostly a green plant with a hint of red/orange on its sticky hairs. its never caught a bug that im aware of.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!