FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
It's not tuber season yet. But when it is Johnny Myob sells them on the facebook CP groups.
By Hungry Plants
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:It's not tuber season yet. But when it is Johnny Myob sells them on the facebook CP groups.

Is that the buy-sell only one that's up there?
By KategoricalKarnivore
Either the Carnivorous Plants Community or Carnivorous Plant Auction and Sales group or both. I can’t remember. But probably the sales group.
By Hungry Plants
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Either the Carnivorous Plants Community or Carnivorous Plant Auction and Sales group or both. I can’t remember. But probably the sales group.

I'm part of the auction group but don't use FB all that often. When is a good time to start looking for them? Spring or summer?
By KategoricalKarnivore
I just searched and he was selling them in July last year on the auction and sales group. I can try to remember to contact you once he starts.
By Hungry Plants
That would be great. I'm just not having any luck with the seed. I don't know if I killed them with the GA3 or not. I'm going to hold on to the pack I have left and plant them in the summer and leave them outside. Probably going to try it with what I have started too. I mixed the GA3 like you told me and let it sit for 24 hrs and then planted.
By DroseraFan
Hello

with the seeds of tuberose it is necessary to be sometimes patient the easy species like d.auriculata, peltata andersoniana germinate often in 30 or 40 days but for other species it can be longer (several months) sometimes it is necessary to let the pot dry with seeds and germination is carried out in the following autumn when the pots are wet again.
The GA3 treatment you have done over 24 hours is normally correct if the dosage is good, personally I use a concentration of 500ppm that works well.
I may be selling some bulbs in late summer, I start to have a serious problem of space but I have to look like sending them to the US easily.
If you have problems with seeding this can also come from growing conditions, in which case adult plants may also have
growth difficulties.
DroseraFan, DroseraFan liked this
By Hungry Plants
DroseraFan wrote:Hello

with the seeds of tuberose it is necessary to be sometimes patient the easy species like d.auriculata, peltata andersoniana germinate often in 30 or 40 days but for other species it can be longer (several months) sometimes it is necessary to let the pot dry with seeds and germination is carried out in the following autumn when the pots are wet again.
The GA3 treatment you have done over 24 hours is normally correct if the dosage is good, personally I use a concentration of 500ppm that works well.
I may be selling some bulbs in late summer, I start to have a serious problem of space but I have to look like sending them to the US easily.
If you have problems with seeding this can also come from growing conditions, in which case adult plants may also have
growth difficulties.
Thanks for the reply. My GA3 is 300ppm should I have soked them longer? I have them in a then gallon tank that gets around 8 hrs of light, 95% RH and abut 71F max and 66F min. I was planing on taking them out in several weeks and letting them dy out in the sun over the summer and see how that works.
By DroseraFan
the recommended dosage is usually 500 ppm rather than 300ppm, but that must go even. for the temperature, a little colder would be better, my home is about 46-50 at night and 59 days (it will increase with the end of winter).
For example, in 2016 I planted seeds of d.macrophylla on 17/09/2016 and the first began to germinate on 29/10/2016.
so you must wait a little bit. If in 2 months nothing is out, it's better to let everything dry and wait for the next year
By nimbulan
Be patient with these. I managed to germinate a D. macrophylla seed this year and it took 4 months after heat treatment. If nothing germinates this winter, just let the pots dry out over the summer and see if they'll germinate next winter.

As for buying plants, California Carnivores is the only place that sells potted tuberous sundews during the growing season. If you want bare tubers you'll have to wait until summer though as I'm discovering this year that can be a bit tricky. Transporting bare tubers to a new climate seems to sometimes cause huge delays in tuber growth, potentially even skipping an entire growing season. I previously thought this was only the case when transporting tubers between the southern and northern hemisphere, but it seems to be a universal issue.
By Hungry Plants
Pretty soon I'm going to let the pots dry out and put them outside this summer. I also have a pack of seeds I'm going to hold on to till then. Do I have to treat the seeds or just let them heat up on there own in the sun?
By nimbulan
Hungry Plants wrote:Pretty soon I'm going to let the pots dry out and put them outside this summer. I also have a pack of seeds I'm going to hold on to till then. Do I have to treat the seeds or just let them heat up on there own in the sun?
You can do either method, though it's easier to control if you do it yourself.
nimbulan liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!