FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
no. but i see them used with success. There are 7ft tall ones also. search green house. you would need wooden pallets to get them off the ground. or you would need to make a bog. you just need some thick vinyl and a subpump for a bog. but expect snakes to come to the water. maybe more critters.

Lowes built a cheap green house for their cashiers outside. it was 2x4 frames with clear plexiglass screwed on and standard storm door. would be cheap to build if you are handy
By Veenruss
my hands are good for holding and using drumsticks....but I like the way that canvas thing looks.
By Fly Trap Hunter
it was colder in Matthews than Wilmington. I had a few things freeze last night. my tray of vft seedlings and a few newer ones that were under LEDS that I just got and the droserae is the only ones I'm concerned about. That little tent sure would be handy right now. I'm moving so maybe I will end up with that tent from home depot. it lets in water and light and it would protect them from the mid-day sunlight. and you could put it in the middle of your yard for most light.

The vfts have gotten really cold but not froze. They don't look bad, burnt or dead.
By Veenruss
Hey. Yeah it got down pretty low, miss 20s I think. So far nothing looks affected, everything is still green. And next week the temps will be in the 60s for a few days, which is sort of typical, the roller coaster effect.

May start experimenting with "bog" setups, you know with pots (filled with peat and vermiculite) sitting in shallow water trays. Seems like a lot of the guys on the west coast do that........

Russ
By riveraXVX
for bogs I like the look of the half barrel ones I see people post up (I found them on the forums here a while back)

pretty simple setup but looked real nice. an empty gallon container in the middle, pvc pipe leading up and out of the surface to water from, then installed a small tap/spigot on the bottom (sometimes with another pvc pipe setup there for coming outwards and then a pipe coming upwards so you could easily look inside the pipe parallel with your fill pipe and check the water level/no mystery to it.
By Veenruss
Thanks for the input. We have some type of climbing flowering vine in a half whiskey barrel, agreed they look nice. Off next week so may hit the home improvement stores and look around.......

Russ
By Fly Trap Hunter
Veenruss wrote:Thanks for the input. We have some type of climbing flowering vine in a half whiskey barrel, agreed they look nice. Off next week so may hit the home improvement stores and look around.......

Russ
riveraXVX wrote:for bogs I like the look of the half barrel ones I see people post up (I found them on the forums here a while back)

pretty simple setup but looked real nice. an empty gallon container in the middle, pvc pipe leading up and out of the surface to water from, then installed a small tap/spigot on the bottom (sometimes with another pvc pipe setup there for coming outwards and then a pipe coming upwards so you could easily look inside the pipe parallel with your fill pipe and check the water level/no mystery to it.
if you use a whiskey barrel, I would get a plastic barrel to set inside to avoid whatever might leak out of the wood. Somebody could design/build mini bogs and sell them, just say'n
By riveraXVX
the resin half whiskey barrels are what I found before, let me look around and see if I can dig up the thread/build I liked
By Veenruss
I found 2 sizes of plastic half whiskey barrels, got the larger of the 2 (19.5" diameter?). Has punch out holes in the bottom. Interestingly, it was the vermiculite that I had to shop around for. One place had only perlite, but it was impregnated with fertilizer-seems that this company impregnates EVERYTHING they make with fertilizer, including sphagnum peat. But no worries, another place had the plain stuff. So will set things up tomorrow, see how the water wicks (got a plastic cement mixer pan for the water trough).

Russ
By Fly Trap Hunter
sounds like a fun project and you have nice weather. idk about using vermiculite. Most cp growers use peat, perlite and sand.
By Veenruss
Yah I’ve seen all sorts of mixtures. I’m going to try the vermiculite only because I’ve used it before with some other gardening projects and it worked well. And if it doesn’t work well I’ll try something else. Thanks again for the info.

Russ
By riveraXVX
Vigoro perlite was the only perlite I could find locally (at home depot)
By Veenruss
Yah Depot is where I got the vermiculite........
N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!