FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
Well, they had a slow start this year, due to repotting, but they finally seem to be coming along okay now.
vft1.jpg
vft1.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
vft2.jpg
vft2.jpg (245.9 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
vft3.jpg
vft3.jpg (231.46 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
vft4.jpg
vft4.jpg (237.82 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Leo756 liked this
By HuxTraps
Leo, you are AMAZING!
We all want our plants to look like yours. So cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HuxTraps liked this
By Leo756
HuxTraps wrote:Leo, you are AMAZING!
There you go... Makin' my head swell again! LOL!

Actually, I haven't had to do hardly *anything* with these plants all summer. It's been raining so often, I've only had to water them a few times and I haven't even needed to collect any more rainwater all summer. I usually feed them some bugs once in a while too, but they've been catching so many on their own, I figured I didn't need to do that either. Some of the easiest plants I've ever grown -- once you know all the tricks, that is!
By cjpflaumer
Your plants do look amazing Leo! Good job

Constant rain keeps the plants clean and helps them look amazing (not discrediting what you have done though!)
Whenever it rains here (Southern California) I always take pictures because they look so good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
always love seeing photos of your collection there!

beautiful, I would end up out there taking photos daily haha
By uusa2000
Leo756 wrote:
HuxTraps wrote:Leo, you are AMAZING!
There you go... Makin' my head swell again! LOL!

Actually, I haven't had to do hardly *anything* with these plants all summer. It's been raining so often, I've only had to water them a few times and I haven't even needed to collect any more rainwater all summer. I usually feed them some bugs once in a while too, but they've been catching so many on their own, I figured I didn't need to do that either. Some of the easiest plants I've ever grown -- once you know all the tricks, that is!
What about trimming and maintenance? When do you cut off your dying traps?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Beautiful plants Leo! Well done sir!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Leo756
uusa2000 wrote:What about trimming and maintenance? When do you cut off your dying traps?
Usually just in the fall after I bring them indoors for dormancy, then again in the spring when I take them back outside. I'm sure there are probably some dead leaves hidden in underneath there, but I doubt the plants would be growing like this if it was harmful. (No one goes around cutting off the dead leaves where they grow in the wild.) I only do it when they start dying back for the winter and look so shabby, or to clear away whatever has died over the winter. Going overboard with trimming too often during the active growth season usually just winds up triggering a bunch of traps to close and wastes a bunch of precious energy.
By idog24
Amazing plants! What cultivars are those btw? They look like Low Giants or Big Mouths?
By Leo756
idog24 wrote:Amazing plants! What cultivars are those btw? They look like Low Giants or Big Mouths?
Thanks! The lower growing varieties must be either Big Mouth or Fine Tooth x Red. Those are the only ones that ever stay short and compact for me. (And the tags never show up in my pics because I keep them facing away from the sun to keep them from getting faded and I can only take pics from one angle when the door is open on my squirrel cage unless I go to the trouble of moving pots around.) I did have a Low Giant once upon a time, but it never stayed very low for me. It got about as tall as my B52's do, but with smaller traps, so pretty much like a regular ol' typical.

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Sundew in forest

So, I am very new to gardening (like, this is my f[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!