FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
People tend to like the largest grain size best. With finer sand, you sometimes don't get as much drainage and I've noticed that if there is a bunch of small peat particles in your mix, the mixture of sand and peat becomes heterogeneous.
By erikHIplants
Benurmanii wrote:People tend to like the largest grain size best. With finer sand, you sometimes don't get as much drainage and I've noticed that if there is a bunch of small peat particles in your mix, the mixture of sand and peat becomes heterogeneous.
Good to know, I was leaning #12. Just wanted to see what some opinions community members had.
By Greenthumbs Garden
yeah larger grain for sure, i love the look and basically what Benurmanii said, i bought a large silica grain for the aquarium store for top dressing, i just mix it with the small grain, seems to be working well.
By nimbulan
I would kill to be able to find #12 sand around here. The "medium" grit we generally find at stores is #20 at best and I consider it too fine to be usable.
By erikHIplants
nimbulan wrote:I would kill to be able to find #12 sand around here. The "medium" grit we generally find at stores is #20 at best and I consider it too fine to be usable.
I was lucky to find this stuff from a local retailer. Home depot doesn't even ship pool filter sand here. It probably has something to do with crossing the pacific :lol:
By mokigarden
erikHIplants wrote:Turns out I ended up with 100lbs of #12 silica sand :shock:
You think that's a lot right now, I went through a 100lb bag in less than a year.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!