FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Leathal_Traps
Sorry for another post on this forum, its just that I'm really obsessed with sundews know. ;) As I have been reading, many sundews prefer very moist/ waterlogged media, so this idea popped up in my mind... Is it possible to grow these in water only? I was thinking trying out a few leaf cuttings, but before, I wanted to know if someone has alrady tried this, and if it works or not.
By fattytuna
I've kept a capensis alive in a bottle of water before. It wasn't growing the best, however that may be due to other factors.

I have someone growing D. capensis suspended above a bowl of water, with the roots in the water and the plant did flower for them
By Leathal_Traps
I meant that I will germinate some seeds in the water, and leave them there ( it is possible to germinate drosera seeds in only water), unless I misunderstood what you are trying to say
By fattytuna
I meant to take a large, fully grown plant and grow that in water.
I'm not sure if a seedling would be able to survive the water. Maybe if you took some mesh and suspended it on top of the water, with the seedling growing on top it would work.
By zoliky
Hello, I came across this topic and find it interesting. Did you succeed? I was thinking about doing some experiments using sub-tropical sundews since they're bog plants and don't require any nutrients in the soil. I would like to keep only the bottom of the roots in water and let air flow through holes on both sides of the pot.
By Fishman
When my pots get overcrowded with capensis, ill pluck the smaller ones out. Since i am too lazy to take them to the trash can, i just throw them in the big watering tray where i have my largest population of them growing. It is a very large tray. I have some just laying in that same tray laying sideways in the water and they do fine. But like the earlier post suggested, some kind of mesh used as something the plant could cling onto would possibly be ideal. Ive never tried to germinate in water, and then keep them growing in it though. Would be an interesting experiment
Fishman liked this
By zoliky
I tried water germination and it worked for D. tokaiensis and D. spatulata Freser Island. I didn't try other species. I put the germinated seeds on peat after that. I was wondering on keeping the mature plants in pure water. Something like this:
Attachments:
a.jpg
a.jpg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
By DeadlyCarnivore
I watched a video somewhere and it said that sundews can grow fully submerged under water, or grow in only water, so if you have a big enough plant, it should work. I think that D. Spatulata would work best doing this, because the video I watched (Dont remember the name, watched it when I was first getting into CPs) showed a sundew fully submerged and it looked like a D Spatulata. Isnt there also a sundew that has the word "Float" in its name? Could that mean it can be found in the wild floating on water?

Wishlist:
Pygmy Sundews!!!
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa
DeadlyCarnivore liked this
By Fishman
zoliky wrote:I tried water germination and it worked for D. tokaiensis and D. spatulata Freser Island. I didn't try other species. I put the germinated seeds on peat after that. I was wondering on keeping the mature plants in pure water. Something like this:
Yes! Something such as this Id love to see . Heck i may be experimenting on all of my spare plants that i regularly "toss out"... thanks for the idea (the diagram, that is!)
Fishman liked this
Help! My VFT is dying

So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6?

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!