FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Have a rather odd situation with a generic nepenthes I bought maybe 4-5 years ago on Amazon (no clue which species, was just listed as Nepethes). Honestly it looks like N. Miranda, but there are some variations in the leaves. Anyway, on to the weirdness: only ONE pitcher can be out at a time. When a new one pops, the current one will start to die (almost the same day even). Here are some pictures I took of this phenomenon a couple days ago:

Freshly popped pitcher

Existing pitcher starting to whither

Funny thing is, once the pitcher is ready to be snipped off, the leaf stays around! This one has been on here for a couple months and is still green and healthy.

Any thoughts? I just keep it as a house plant (no special environment or humidity/temp controls for this guy). Humidity probably stays at 40% or higher and temperatures around mid 60s at night to low-mid 70 during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
My guess is that it just has some more sensitive species in its parentage. I grow a hybrid that has N. dubia in it (the other plant in the hybrid is N. Eclipse, but I don't know its parentage), and you can definitely tell it keeps the hybrid relatively slow. It only seemed to keep one pitcher out at a time, but now it seems to have adjusted to my conditions and is puting out a second pitcher with the other one still rather fresh.

It is typical for Nepenthes to lose their pitchers but maintain their leaves.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:My guess is that it just has some more sensitive species in its parentage. I grow a hybrid that has N. dubia in it (the other plant in the hybrid is N. Eclipse, but I don't know its parentage), and you can definitely tell it keeps the hybrid relatively slow. It only seemed to keep one pitcher out at a time, but now it seems to have adjusted to my conditions and is puting out a second pitcher with the other one still rather fresh.

Yeah, I'm not sure. It's had the same conditions for 3 years. Maybe it's not a fan?
By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:My guess is that it just has some more sensitive species in its parentage. I grow a hybrid that has N. dubia in it (the other plant in the hybrid is N. Eclipse, but I don't know its parentage), and you can definitely tell it keeps the hybrid relatively slow. It only seemed to keep one pitcher out at a time, but now it seems to have adjusted to my conditions and is puting out a second pitcher with the other one still rather fresh.

Yeah, I'm not sure. It's had the same conditions for 3 years. Maybe it's not a fan?
Possibly.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:
tannerm wrote:

Possibly.
Because obviously that's not normal, right? What do you fertilize yours with?
By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:Because obviously that's not normal, right? What do you fertilize yours with?
I don't fertilize my big Neps. I only occasionally fertilize my small Nepenthes, and usually if they need it (warm temps during summer, deficiency). If I fertilize them, I give them a little bit of maxsea, or a fishfood pellet in the pitcher.
By nimbulan
I have a hybrid with N. dubia in it too and it certainly doesn't seem slow. It even has several healthy pitchers right now.

As for the plant in the original post, that's definitely not a 'Miranda'. The leaves look very truncata-like though the pitchers sure don't and I don't think the plant's hairy enough. I have to say I'm stumped.
By Benurmanii
nimbulan wrote:I have a hybrid with N. dubia in it too and it certainly doesn't seem slow. It even has several healthy pitchers right now.

As for the plant in the original post, that's definitely not a 'Miranda'. The leaves look very truncata-like though the pitchers sure don't and I don't think the plant's hairy enough. I have to say I'm stumped.
Hmm, well the one I have is the plant from charlie, so it has only been in my collection since April.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:I have a hybrid with N. dubia in it too and it certainly doesn't seem slow. It even has several healthy pitchers right now.

I know it's not, the leaves are wrong, but the pitchers are close. It could be a hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!