FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By doku
Does anyone know if earthworm castings will burn the roots of newly emerging plants? As far as i know, earthworm casting are suppose to release nutrients slowly so that the plants can absorb them easily, but I do not know if it will harm young plants that have fragile roots.
By linton
earthworm castings should be completely safe to use on small plants and seedlings - essentially the "worm poo" is soil, bacteria and other organic matter that has passed through the digestive tract of the worm, it is rich in nutrients, but not rich enough to damage plant tissue.
By twigs
I don't have any experience with using earthworm castings, but my view point is - why risk it? Your flytrap will get plenty of nutriets if you leave it outside (to catch it's own bugs) or feed it. I don't see the benefit of fertilizing it through the roots. I would say this is a useless risk to take.
By renesis
Worm castings are really high in salts, I wouldn't use them on newly emerged plants. Granted, they are all different- the ones that we got a hold of weren't capable of germinating seed, and in the case they did -the growth was yellowed and straggly. I would wait a couple of months until the seedlings are a bit bigger, and then start off with a lower rate to begin with until you know its working okay.

Non-carnivorous plants only of course. Good Luck!
CalCarn Hitchhiker

Hey all, I unboxed my Dionaea m. Ginormous from Ca[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome from a fellow noob!

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome forum a fellow noob!

Trying My Hand With TC

So I am more of the type that learns by doing rath[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!