FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By nesler
On a whim, I picked up a packet of pepper seeds (jalapeno or habanero, I can't recall) to fiddle around with.

Does anyone grow peppers? I'm starting to eyeball Bhut Jolokia seeds on ebay...
By doku
nesler wrote:On a whim, I picked up a packet of pepper seeds (jalapeno or habanero, I can't recall) to fiddle around with.

Does anyone grow peppers? I'm starting to eyeball Bhut Jolokia seeds on ebay...
I grow peppers. Bell peppers, jalapenos(wish i knew how to get the squiggly line on top of the n), habaneros, serranos, and this year i attempted to grow the hot as hell, bhut jolokia. This morning i was looking at it and i have my first seed finally germinating. Yay!!!

As a side note. Bhut jolokia is a little tougher to germinate than other peppers are. More than anything you need patiance.
By nesler
doku wrote:
nesler wrote:As a side note. Bhut jolokia is a little tougher to germinate than other peppers are. More than anything you need patiance.
I did read that, which made me hesitant to try them. If I recall correctly, the soil has to be pretty damn warm. What was your tactic?
By doku
I actually decided to wait until late summer to sow them. In my part of southern California the days and nights are warm in late summer and early fall. In spring and early summers the nights get pretty cool. And from late fall through winter it gets pretty chilly. So i figured for me, right now was the perfect time to sow them. It took 3 weeks for this first seed to poke out of the dirt. And today I actually saw a second one coming out :D. If you want to start your seeds early in the season you can try using a heat mat. This will keep the soil warm which will also help them germinate faster. Also, I have heard that the plants appreciate good humidity. This is my first time with these so i can not say if they do well in lower humidity. Once they germinate supposedly they can be cared for the same way any other pepper plant, so hopefully they do well. I think they give fruit either way, but do better with more humidity. There is a grower in Hawaii that grows them and sells seeds. You can probably ask him any question you want. He should be able to help you out more. With any luck, maybe we can compare plants and methods next year. Here is his website. http://www.thehottestpepper.com/?gclid= ... zAod12ynzw
Cool guy. I bought my seeds from him. They tend to have a good germination rate. I have bought seeds from ebay before and they are either really expensive or the seeds are fried and wont germinate. Good luck nesler.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!