FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
I rinsed perlite, but perlite swells when wet. Do perlite get back the original size with time if no more water is applied? for example if I keep the perlite to dry in a heated room for two weeks.
By zoliky
Yes, and perlite swells in volume to fifteen to twenty times the original volume. You can check that on the web.
By sbrooks
zoliky wrote:Yes, and perlite swells in volume to fifteen to twenty times the original volume. You can check that on the web.
I believe that it swells when heated it to an extreme temperature, which is either done when processing all perlite, or for certain purposes.
I know my perlite doesn't swell when wet. If it does, it's not a noticeable amount.
By nimbulan
zoliky wrote:Yes, and perlite swells in volume to fifteen to twenty times the original volume. You can check that on the web.
Perlite is created by expanding raw material when manufactured, because it is heated to high temperatures to vaporize water and other components which creates a very low density, porous structure. It will not expand when wet.
By zoliky
Thank you. My bag of perlite also has some white dust in it. Should I remove that? To be honest, it was one of the reasons I choosed to rinse.
By Benurmanii
zoliky wrote:Thank you. My bag of perlite also has some white dust in it. Should I remove that? To be honest, it was one of the reasons I choosed to rinse.
The white dust is from the perlite. It is best to avoid breathing it in. When working with perlite, it is safest to use a mask, but it also helps to be outside and to rinse the inside of the bag.
By nimbulan
What I do is pour perlite into bucket and add about twice as much water. Mix the bucket up a bit to make sure The majority of the perlite will float, while the dust will sink so you can skim the larger pieces off the surface. I doubt the dust is harmful to plants but it will make the process a bit cleaner. Definitely avoid breathing in any of the dust, so it's best to do it all outdoors.
nimbulan liked this

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!