FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
How easy are these neps to keep?
Neps are one of the only carnivorous plants i've never had - next to heli's and dewy pines.
I've just come across an oppertunity to buy a rebecca soper (not the person).

If i bought this, it would be placed in my bedroom from a hanging basket on the cieling.
I wouldnt class the room as too cold nor too warm... And as far as humidity goes, could i just mist it daily?

For reference, Drosera, VFTs, A ceph, and butter/bladderworts all have been grown in this room.
By jaester
This is a highland(N.ramispina x N.ventricosa) nepenthes and one of the easiest to grow. To quote John "snapperhead51":

"...let it settle in to its new conditions first ,give it good clean rain water ,keep the potting mix just wet not soaked ,if it dry s out it will stress easily then after several months use a bit less water if needed , try to get in a place where you can have good humidity at least 60% and no strong winds, just a nice gentle breeze is good, and good light see if you can copy the light conditions from where you bought it from !!let the Basel shoots grow ,and when they producing good size pitchers 3,4 5 6, in ones you can take cuttings from the main stem with out damaging the plant and still have a great plant to look and care for
hope that helps J"

Source: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/my-ne ... t6902.html
jaester liked this
By Alzuryu
Thanks for that! Am i right in assuming this nep doesn't enjoy direct sunlight though?
By jaester
I'd say 4 hours of direct sunlight and bright filtered light for the rest of the day would do best. This can be achieved by hanging your nep on a south-facing window, if that option is not available, then a west-facing window will suffice. Just make sure temp at night stays above 8°C. Happy growing and welcome to the forums.
By corky
a very vigorous and easy rewarding plant to grow,you chose the one to start with,i think direct sun would be fine but you can not just place the plant in direct sun,it must get used to it over time but this could of already been done by the previous owner,if not start with an hour direct sun then a bit more after a week or so and so on,mine is growing like mad in normal room humidity between 45 and 60 so that should not be a problem unless it has just came from a very high humidity enviroment in that case same as the light it needs to acclimatise,this is done by keeping the plant in a clear plastic bag and slowy opening it more and more over the time of a month or so,i suppose you could do with knowing the conditions the plant has been growing in,all that said i think it is such an easy grower that this is all a bit over the top and a change of conditions would most likely just make the plant sulk (not grow) for a few weeks
corky liked this
By Alzuryu
Sounds good! Thanks both of you :) I've wanted a Nep for ages but thought i couldn't have them, i thought they were a lot more high maintenance than they actually are. Luckily i have a great spot in my south facing windowsill for it!
By corky
mloebl wrote:Interesting Nep, I'm envious! I could only find one seller in the US so far that "might" have one,
try black knight i think it could be the same hybrid
By mloebl
corky wrote:
mloebl wrote:Interesting Nep, I'm envious! I could only find one seller in the US so far that "might" have one,
try black knight i think it could be the same hybrid
I think you may be right... I'll have to keep an eye out this spring when it's safe to start ordering again :)

-Mike
By EXD
May I ask, what are the harms of strong winds? (I have strong winds in winter but the conditions are best outside)
By kcbugs
Another "might be"... I purchased one, but it has no pitchers yet, as I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but is growing well. Nice dark, olive colored leaves though! For $5.95, it's still a great deal.

http://www.wellspringgardens.org/servle ... ata/Detail
By Anthony
I have a Becky Soper. I love this plant. I had it as an indoor plant for a while....it did ok...made a pitcher now and then, and leaves are olive green with red tinge (about 3 hrs direct sunlight through the window)
N. Rebecca Soper 1a.jpg
N. Rebecca Soper 1a.jpg (694.05 KiB) Viewed 12627 times
N. Rebecca Soper_1b.jpg
N. Rebecca Soper_1b.jpg (546.82 KiB) Viewed 12627 times
I recently moved it to the greenhouse, where it gets a lot warmer in the daytime, and cooler at night w/ higher humidity. The pitchers tripled in size, and now Its got 4 open pitchers, and another forming. Her leaves also colored up a beautiful dark red in more sunlight
DSCF5752.jpg
DSCF5752.jpg (728.53 KiB) Viewed 12627 times
She is very easy to grow and very rewarding and very pretty
By rwharold
I just placed an order for a Rebecca Soper. I intend to grow it on my very bright sunny windowsill. Do you have any special instructions for the proper care and feeding that I should follow? Thanks a lot! :)
Trying My Hand With TC

Sweet. I will check them out.

Certainly. I used to live in Springwood, middle bl[…]

Hi from FNQ.

I've been keeping all types of CP's for most of th[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Hi from MD!

Hi, I’ve grown vfts on and off since the 198[…]

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!