FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kronos1996
Ok so I am a compulsive collector but I have limited funds so I need help limiting my list to plants worth owning and eliminating clones that are too similar to be worth it.

First, Fuzed tooth vs. Fuzzy tooth

Second, Lunatic Fringe vs Bristletooth vs Sawtooth(s) etc.

All the red clones except Maroon Monster and Akai Ryu which I already own

Freaks - Werewolf, Radioactive, wacky, Trichterfall etc.

Giants - I own DC-XL and King Henry but I'm looking to add a few more. Low Giant, Big Mouth and G-16 seem popular, any others worth having with different characteristics?

Miniature - Petite Dragon, Bohemian Garnet, Coquillage, Korean Melody shark etc. (the first two never seem to be in stock)

Miscellaneous - Flaming Lips, Purple Ambush

Anyways, my goal is to get the best couple clones in each main category. If I forgot to mention one that's worth having please educate me. I DO NOT want several clones with almost identical characteristics. Any info is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Matt
kronos1996 wrote:First, Fuzed tooth vs. Fuzzy tooth
Both are nice, but quite similar. Fuzzy Tooy is probably a better fusing clone, but Fused Tooth is more vigorous and generally larger.
kronos1996 wrote:Second, Lunatic Fringe vs Bristletooth vs Sawtooth(s) etc.
Lunatic Fringe is quite different than Bristletooth or Sawtooth, but those two are fairly similar. I think I like Bristletooth better than Sawtooth, but the differences aren't significant.
kronos1996 wrote:Freaks - Werewolf, Radioactive, wacky, Trichterfall etc.
All of those freaks listed are quite different and all worth growing in my opinion.
kronos1996 wrote:Giants - I own DC-XL and King Henry but I'm looking to add a few more. Low Giant, Big Mouth and G-16 seem popular, any others worth having with different characteristics?
If you're into giant flytraps (which I'm not), all of those are worth owning. If you just have DC XL and King Henry at this point, I'd vote for either Low Giant or G16, as they both are significantly different than the upright growing DC XL and King Henry flytraps.
kronos1996 wrote:Miniature - Petite Dragon, Bohemian Garnet, Coquillage, Korean Melody shark etc. (the first two never seem to be in stock)
I'd probably pass on Petite Dragon, but the others are very interesting and beautiful plants and all are worth growing.
kronos1996 wrote:Miscellaneous - Flaming Lips, Purple Ambush
These are two of my favorite plants, so I couldn't in good conscience tell someone to pass on either!

There are quite a few others that aren't mentioned here that I'd probably add to my "narrowed" list. One for sure would be Jaws. Alien is also really awesome. And Crocodile. There are others too, but I guess at this point I'm not helping to narrow the list!!!
By kronos1996
Lol, your helping though! Experts like you have valuable knowledge.

I have DC-CL, Jaws, Archangel, Crimson Sawtooth, King Henry, Dutch, Paradisia, Grun, Maroon Monster, Akai Ryu, Pink Venus, I think I have a small Dente as well.

An order is coming in today that includes Wally, Fine Tooth x Red, Red Piranha, Royal Red and Etna.

So I have a few good ones already! That being said, I don't want to take too much of your time but can you recommend any clones from Europe? They are about to place a group order and I'm not sure what to get if anything. Two clones they have named 'Charlie Mandons Spotted' and 'Spotty' (no relation?) look interesting. The BCP clones I can't make heads or tails of because of the terrible naming schemes... I know I'm gonna end up with a lot of clones eventually my main concern is getting clones that are too similar, not just as a financial concern but also a space and time concern for me.

Last edited by kronos1996 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mdeford09
Let me help matt say what he was trying to say but a little shorter...

buy which ever ones you want today... cuz you will be back to buy the others tomorrow, haha!
mdeford09 liked this
By kronos1996
mdeford09 wrote:Let me help matt say what he was trying to say but a little shorter...

buy which ever ones you want today... cuz you will be back to buy the others tomorrow, haha!
Basically I guess... LOL

By katya_dog1
What I would do is simply find out which variants you like (giants, colorful, wacky) and buy the ones that catch your eye.

If I find myself thinking "I like that, but I like this one better" then I get the second one. I just ordered A2 instead of B52, because I'm not really impressed by the giant clones unless they have something else good to offer like color.

Give me red or wacky any day. :)

So I live in central Arkansas, and I want to grow […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Sundew in forest

So, I am very new to gardening (like, this is my f[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!