FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Leathal_Traps
Anyone have any information on growing this plant? Searched everywhere and found almost no information on it.
By Leathal_Traps
SerMuncherIV wrote:I'm no expert on Utricularia, but I'd treat it like the standard North American terrestrial/semi-aquatic (similar to U. subulata, U. minor, U. gibba, U. juncea, etc.).
Which would be....? Sorry but I know little about utrics. Only one I've grown so far is sandersonnii which is practically impossible to kill. Since you mentioned utricularia juncea and I searched it up, I am now unsure whether my plant is a cornuta or a juncea. Looked at pics of the flowers and they are almost identical. Will post a pic so hopefully someone can identify it, I got the plant from a friend which is why I am unsure of the species.
By SerMuncherIV
I'm not good with Utricularia either, so I can't help with identification...basically, you'll want to keep the plant in an undrained container in a peat based mix with the water level around the soil line (it can fluctuate, which will actually mimic the plant's natural habitat). As usual, full sun will be appreciated. During the growing season, keeping it with your U. sandersonii might be fine. During winter, these plants are accustomed to dormancy very similar to the dormancy that you would give Sarracenia and Dionaea. My North American Utricularia seem to freeze solid every year, and they always bounce back. They can be grown without dormancy, but they'll be less likely to flower without their seasonal cues (except for annoying U. subulata which always produces those unsightly cleistogamous flowers).
By iamjacksplants
I was able to find a couple links you might find useful. One is a link to an article in the American Journal of Botany. It has one page of info, the rest can either be downloaded for $12 or you can create an account and view it for free on the website. Looks like a dry read, but thorough.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2441227?seq ... b_contents

This one is brief but gives endemic info which indicates pretty much what SerMuncherIV said.

https://naturepreserves.ohiodnr.gov/por ... ornuta.pdf

You're right, info on this one is elusive. Makes me wanna get some! I like Utrics. I hope you can get it established, I would love to buy or trade a plug once you get it going.

Good luck!

-@.

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

People do this all the time and it works pretty we[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!