FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Handrail Pete
This binata just started to grow again after I shipped it and it's trying to send up a flower stalk. Should it be allowed to flower? All I really have is vft experience so I don't know if it's necesarily the same for sundews. Is this binata too small to let flower? How many seeds would I expect to collect from it? Will plant growth slow down during the flowering process? Thanks in advance

By Jds197
Flowering won't hurt it. However there are several forms of binata out there. Some are more weedy than capensis, and some are sterile. Chances are you got one of the weedy varieties since that's what everyone sells. Here's a pic of all the weeds that I've been picking out of my other pots and just throwing together.
Attachments:
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg (901.4 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Sirby liked this
By Eric
In my experience flowering doesn't set back Drosera as long as it's well fed. I'd let it grow and then take the flower as a cutting when I feel it's long enough. Drosera binata doesn't self pollinate (unless it's the "small red form").
By fattytuna
As mentioned previously, most D. binata varieties need to be cross pollinated with another genetically different plant (i.e not clones of each other like in the case of leaf cuttings) to produce viable seed. An interesting thing you can do with the flower stalks of this species is produce flower stalk cuttings. Simply cut the flower stalk before the actual flower buds begin to develop, chop it up into approximately 2 inch sections and treat them like a leaf cutting. You can either float them in water, or stick the ends into moist media. New plantlets can grow from the flower stalk.
By omnipercp15
fattytuna wrote:As mentioned previously, most D. binata varieties need to be cross pollinated with another genetically different plant (i.e not clones of each other like in the case of leaf cuttings) to produce viable seed.
Thanks! You have just given me a reason that I need to get more binata plants!
By Sirby
Jds197 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:51 am Flowering won't hurt it. However there are several forms of binata out there. Some are more weedy than capensis, and some are sterile. Chances are you got one of the weedy varieties since that's what everyone sells. Here's a pic of all the weeds that I've been picking out of my other pots and just throwing together.
I now have flower stalks, too,

The plants were sold as 2 Cultivars. It ended up being 3.

It had a rough USPS ride. All the leaves died back, right down to the rhizome.
It sat there for wks, bare and lifeless.

Now all 3 rhizome's have very minor sprouts . With 2 having juvenile leaflets and 2 of the 3, with flower stalks ?

Can these stalks, prior to blooming, be harvested, too ?

Image[/img]
Attachments:
20211023_230030.jpg
20211023_230030.jpg (198.55 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!