FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
So my first order from Native Exotics came in today. Like others have said, the packaging was amazing. I picked up two plants during their summer/new website sale. One was a Poi Dog nepenthes from Leilani, I can't even begin to guess the heritage since I'm relatively new to nepenthes. I was told that it's supposed to be an extremely easy grower though. Second was a Nepenthes singalana x dubia from Borneo Exotics. This is my first true highland plant, I'm hoping to use it as a test to see if I should order some of the harder species from Wistuba. It also just has a really cool pitcher shape. Overall I'm super happy with my order. Now for some pictures.
Attachments:
Nepenthes singalana x dubia
Nepenthes singalana x dubia
IMG_0805.jpg (435.13 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Poi Dog Nepenthes 2
Poi Dog Nepenthes 2
IMG_0807.jpg (530.5 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Poi Dog Nepenthes 1
Poi Dog Nepenthes 1
IMG_0806.jpg (329.36 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
By SerMuncherIV
Looks like the plant probably has N. maxima or perhaps N. glandulifera in it, so it should be an easy grower. The N. singalana x dubia is an easy highlander, more tolerant than both of its parents in my opinion. Just a note of caution - if you plan on ordering from Wistuba, it may be good to have experience with a more difficult pure species first (N. mira, N. sibuyanensis, N. talangensis, etc.) before ordering - Ryan's plants are always well-hardened and easy to get acclimated, Wistuba's not so much. That N. singalana x dubia may lure you into a sense of false security - even as a highlander, it's mountains easier than Wistuba's tiny and pretty expensive N. hamata and N. glabrata straight from TC. The issue doesn't seem to lie mostly on the cultivation requirements of the plants (like said, some ultrahighlanders will tolerate warmer temperatures temporarily), but with adjusting tiny plants fresh out of TC that just took an intercontinental trip to your environment.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By Jds197
Oh I'm going to be building a small highland terrarium within the month (well before the Wistuba order) at my new apartment. I'll be able to control temperatures and humidity much better than I can here at my parent's farm house. Plus winter is coming (Game of Thrones joke, sorry) so it'll be alot easer to get those night time temp drops. Right now I'm usually seeing mid 80's max for daytime temps, usually mid 50's to low 60's during the night as it sits on my windowsill. Daytime humidity is kind of low though. I'll have a humidifier pumping into my terrarium to keep the humidity high for any plants fresh out of TC.
By Jds197
Chipi3s wrote:I have a Lowii and Macrophylla which are both true ultra highlanders, they see days in 88fs and have both been doing fine. I was told some ultra highlanders can be grown as intermediates during the summer but then when winter comes around they have to have those nice cold temps.
This is how I plan to deal with my plants. Summers here can be brutally hot (usually mid 80's for highs, but it can hit 100f or more every few years) Winters on the other hand are super cold (we've seen -17f two years in a row now) Figured if I put the terrarium close to a window during the winter, I should have no problem keeping them cool.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!