FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idog24
I used the brand "Miracle Grow" for perlite to re pot my venus flytraps. I just read that I am not supposed to use Miracle Grow's products at all for their high minerals content. I used 1 part "Pure Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" and 1 part of this miracle grow perlite. Should I re pot immediately and just use the peat moss? Will just the peat moss suffice? Thanks this is urgent.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, take it out, soak the plant and wash it a bit. Then repot. 100 percent peat will be okay, I used to use that exclusively, though it is better to add something else to the mix.

Personally, I'm going all-Long fibered sphagnum. I don't want to support the rape of the peat bogs any more than I have to. LFS has its disadvantages, not least of which price, but for me it's not that big of a deal.
katya_dog1 liked this
By katya_dog1
Peat dries out so much slower though. The pot also stays in place better, because it's heavier. But the growth in LFS for me is so incredible compared to peat/vermiculite.

I just weigh down the pot with silica sand, and I plan to install self-watering ports into my pots for next year, or keep them on a flood table.
By cdelavan
Yes repot immediately like everyone suggests. The Miracle Gro perlite contains added fertilizers that will kill your plant very quickly. If you have any nurseries near where you live they will usually carry pure perlite that has nothing added to it.
By Eyrah
It's going to be fine. Just repot it and let 'er soak in some suitable water for a while while it all washes off. Here's a reassuring story, I made a similar mistake to you with my first flytrap last year, and potted it in miracle grow peat potting mix, and watered with tap water. The whole
Thing burned down the the rhizome. I washed if thoroughly, wrapped the roots in a wet paper towel and stuck it in the fridge right before my two week vacation. (Had no other option) When I got home I repotted it in some suitable medium, and the thing took off like a weed. It's now one of the hardiest growers that I have! These things have serious resiliency to new owners.
By idog24
Thanks for all the help! I happened to have some LFSM around (that wasn't Miracle Gro brand!) and I am using that now. I think using LFSM pure is better than using peat moss pure.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!