FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Redneck_Angel
So I bought a juvenile strawberry plant this past spring, and put it in a cute little strawberry pot. It exploded, but it only produced 3 berries (which were promptly eaten by wildlife).

BUT, this thing put out a gajillion runners. So I'm trying a few methods at growing the runners. I staked some to the dirt until some roots were forming, then simply cut the stem away so it was an individual plant on some of them (one for each pocket of my strawberry plant). Others I've snipped off, kept with the stem, and put them in a jar on my windowsill. I'm not sure what I'll do with these if they root, as I literally have NOWHERE to plant them, but I'm seeing if I can get them to survive. Maybe I'll just plant them in my sister's strawberry patch if they grow.

This thing was 2 leaves when I bought it. Considering I have the blackest thumb I know, I'm rather impressed with myself :D

Sorry if some of the pics are a little blurry, my camera's macro setting SUCKS!
Attachments:
Roots showing on the runners
Roots showing on the runners
P1010009.JPG (387.25 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Runners in a Mason jar on my windowsill
Runners in a Mason jar on my windowsill
P1010008.JPG (562.43 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Again, the parent plant. All of the pockets on the pot have runners growing in them
Again, the parent plant. All of the pockets on the pot have runners growing in them
P1010002.JPG (580.73 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
My parent Strawberry plant
My parent Strawberry plant
P1010001.JPG (975.71 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
By Redneck_Angel
Practically every day of June this plant was putting out a new leaf, and once July started it was a new runner every week with new leaves on the runner babies every day or so. I've read they have a 3 year life cycle, with the 2nd year being prime berry picking time, so I'm hoping next summer I'll actually be able to eat some of the berries off of it, not just sacrifice them to the local wildlife :lol:

Somehow it's always the sickly plants I can keep alive, but the healthy plants I don't do so well with :? Meh, so far I just chalk it all up to learning curve and keep trying with plants I'm interested in that I keep killing :D
By Redneck_Angel
So, question for you gardener folks out there....

How crowded can Strawberries get before it is harmful? Are they like flytraps that I can just keep cramming runners into the pot and the plants will sort themselves out, or should I give them space? I've never grown Strawberries before and my runners in the Mason jar have some nice roots showing, so I was hoping to plant them this week, and if I have the space I'll keep them, otherwise they're being put in my sister's strawberry patch.
By watnazn
I would think it should be fine as long as they get water and don't get too root bound. And as long as they have dirt and didn't push it all out. :D

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!