FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jevon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405988122.498863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405988122.498863.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

I just got this pitcher plant and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to care for like light requirements and watering and so on and so forth I tried looking for care tips online but was unsure exactly of what type it was so I didn't find much. Thanks in advanced
By w03
This plant is almost certainly Nepenthes x miranda. The exact parentage of this hybrid is unknown, but it is likely N. (northiana x maxima) x maxima.

Due to its parentage, it should grow in lowland to intermediate conditions, so warm days between 70 and 90F, and nights above 60F will be best, but it is quite adaptable. In general, Nepenthes like more well drained soil than other carnivorous plants. Long fiber sphagnum with perlite should work well.

Keep the soil moist, but not soaking wet. Wet conditions can rapidly lead to root rot. Give the plant bright sunlight, just be careful to acclimate and avoid burning it.

Read here for more info: http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/
By jevon
Thank you so much that site was helpful it gave me a better understanding of these type of pitchers
By cdelavan
That certainly appears to be a N. miranda. They're one of the easier Nepenthes to grow that along with the ventrata. You can grow it outside in partial to full sun during the spring & summer but once winter hits you will have to move it indoors. Nepenthes cannot tolerate cold weather.
By mexi_kunt
w03
the link you provided is amazing.

one question, under the light section the author says full sun. does that mean it's under direct sunlight through out the entire day?
By w03
Yes, the author keeps most of his Nepenthes under direct sunlight for most of the day. In general, N. x miranda is very adaptable and should grow quite easily in full sun. Acclimation will help here if you don't want the plant to look burnt up a month or two.
w03 liked this
By jevon
w03 wrote:No problem, and welcome to the community!
Thank you I have always been interested in carnivorous plants and have a little bog with some vfts and a small pitcher that I have clue what kind it is I got all of them except this one from lowes and I got this one from a grocery store...and one question that I didn't really find a clear answer to on that website how do I acclimate the plant to full sunlight
By w03
To acclimate it, the author first put it in an area covered by shade cloth outside before moving it into full sun. If you don't have shade cloth, first put it in an area that gets partial sunlight outside, and move it into brighter areas over a couple of weeks before putting it in full sun. The leaves will generally get a slightly yellower tinge and more waxy as they acclimate.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!