FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By swerfer
Just noticed this was posted on Tropical pitchers, sorry, I reposted on Pitcher plants, regarding Darlingtonia californica. Regards.

Hi I am looking for some advice on keeping Darlingtonia roots cool enough to survive the summer. I found various techniques. For example the ‘zeer pot’.

http://rebuildingcivilization.com/conte ... t-zeer-pot

This thing won’t work where I live, for one, we have humid air, so the opposite will happen, and it only works with terracotta pots because of water evaporation through the sides.
In my previous post, I showed my white plastic mortar containers, my plan was to make them mobile, riding them in the sun when available.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/mobil ... 22116.html

Because I don’t know if Darlingtonia californica can withstand these conditions, I want to cool roots/pots extra. My idea was to use isolation on the outside of the container. There is no Styrofoam with the right size available for these containers. But will the inner container be cooler if it was placed in a larger white plastic mortar container where the sides of the containers are filled with Styrophorpallets?

What mechanism will occur? Will this be a cool isolation or will the inside container heat up or take on the outside Temperature, because of the Styrophorpallets? What can I do to cool roots in these containers?
Suggestions are welcome,

Youri
By bluemutiny
I'm not sure if it would be much help with your (awesome) mobile bogs, but I'm finding great success with a small ornamental water feature pump and some ice. In NZ's ozone-less baking direct sun and sometimes tropical humidity, not only is the darlingtonia thriving, the sphagnum in the pot is too.

Some pictures here.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Hi from MD!

Hi, I’ve grown vfts on and off since the 198[…]

Trying My Hand With TC

Hi. I'm on the same road as you, to learn TC. Whic[…]

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Boy this is hard work

It's been almost a year since I've really interact[…]

Kinetin va BAP

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BAP in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!