FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By Kathleen13
Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences, negative or positive, to report about Rocket Farms? http://www.rocketfarms.com/flowers/venus-flytraps This is where my VFT was grown, and I've contacted them a couple of times since buying it (through a retailer) to ask questions, and they have frankly not been very helpful. My first question to them was what variety of VFT I might have (this was before I learned on here that any unlabled VFT is considered a typical). Their answer was that every flytrap they sell is a Dionea muscipula but they did not know what variety mine might be. Well, even at *that* point, I knew that all flytraps are Dionea muscipula! I would have expected a farm that grows & sells VFTs to be more knowledgeable about them than I am. I've also contacted them to try to find out how old my VFT might be (if there's a general age at which they are sent to retailers for sale to the public) and whether or not they give their young plants a dormant period at any time before they are sold (because I'm trying to determine whether I can safely skip dormancy this year), and I have received no response whatsoever. :( So just wondering what others' experiences have been.
By sbrooks
It looks like a phony website, to say the least. It reminds me of when you type in a web address that is similar to the one you are looking for, and get directed to a generic "domain" website that has a smiling model photo, followed by generic links to life insurance and such.
Did you buy directly from them? I couldn't figure out how to get to any information on actually purchasing a plant. No price or ordering info. Just instructions on how to grow: " Place in bright indirect sunlight indoors."........"Avoid direct sunlight for more than four or five hours at a time, sticking instead to bright indirect light."........"Venus Flytraps perform best when planted in a peaty or mossy medium that drains well." (peaty?)......"To fertilize it, just feed it insects! If that’s too icky a very mild amount of fertilizer applied directly to the traps will suffice." (great advice to give Newbies :roll: )
The family in the photo looks happy, though. They must have just gotten done enjoying hours of fun with their new flytrap!
By sbrooks
I guarantee that they get their flytraps from a wholesaler. They're probably not getting adequate light, and so they recommend low lighting (probably wholesaler instructions) so that they don't get complaints from customers who killed their traps by putting them outdoors in direct sun. They probably know as much about flytraps as they know about setting up a classy, convincing website.
By Kathleen13
I didn't buy directly from them, no. I think they sell mostly to retailers (I got mine at a Whole Foods store). And yes, I've learned from this site that VFTs like a LOT more sun than what RF recommends on their website and on their "death cubes". Though I will say that all the flytraps at the Whole Foods store looked relatively healthy, and mine has been doing well since I brought it home. But yeah, they just don't seem very knowledgable about them, and I'm guessing they chiefly sell them as more of a novelty than anything else; their main focus seems to be other kinds of plants.
By Theplantman479
The site said to let the soil get moderately dry before watering the plants again. I dont know why they think so many americans will stupidly think that is the correct info. Hey by the way I put all my venus fly traps by a shaded window and removed there watering trays after reading that usefull information from rocket farms.
By sss
They have these at a store called Meijer not sure how many people have heard of these stores. They are actually probably the best looking flytraps for sale in these plastic terrariums that I have seen. They are also really cheap.
By sss
Theplantman479 wrote:You cant say that because flytrapcare has the best flytraps but I believe you.
Does flytrapcare sell their flytraps in plastic terrariums? I didn't think so.
By Theplantman479
You don't need a terrarium to grow venus fly traps. Look I am not trying to make false accusations or enimies but I was just saying venus flytraps are more robust at flytrap store.
By sss
Theplantman479 wrote:You don't need a terrarium to grow venus fly traps. Look I am not trying to make false accusations or enimies but I was just saying venus flytraps are more robust at flytrap store.
Your inability to read is hilarious. Why don't you reread what I said before you get butt hurt about something I did not say.
By sss
Theplantman479 wrote:Oh sorry my own self doubt got in the way at what I was saying, I thought you where being sarcastic. Lets just call it even.
To clarify, Flytrapcare has great looking flytraps, best I have seen.

Of all the flytraps I've seen growing in death cubes, the ones from rocket farms are the best looking(althogh they are more of death tubes not death cubes)

I don't think flytraps grow best in terrariums.
By Theplantman479
I see what you are talking about now, isn't it funny how a small confusion over the topic can cause such a large argument But I agree comapared to lowes those are the healthiest death cube/tube plants I have seen.
By SundewWolf
I found a rocket farms brand flytrap at a nursery once. Its a pretty nice typical!

I have some pics of it here: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/dorma ... 21564.html

Last growing season the traps had a trap length comparable to the diameter of a quarter. Nice foliage too, but not much color though. Overall it's a really nice flytrap. Very vigorous and hardy. I like it as much as my cultivars.

I won't comment on how the company recommends to grow them, or how they package, soil, website, etc. But the plant itself is very nice if you find one.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!